Sunday, December 7, 2014

More rope for the hanging

On August 6, 2013, (one month before Denver Snuffer was excommunicated from the LDS Church), I wrote the following email to my bishop. 

I never sent it.

My wife said it made me sound arrogant and self-righteous. (In fact, she asked me to tell you all that, in tone and appearance, I characteristically come across as arrogant and angry!) She reminded me tonight how I once pounded the podium with my fist while giving my testimony in Church, saying "I know" such and such. People in the congregation were shocked. 

I admit, I can be scary. I express my emotions as fluently as my thoughts.

Here is what I wrote (but never sent). It is as true today as it ever was.

***

Dear Bishop Risenmay,

I have a friend who (being somewhat informed) naturally rejects the gospel of Jesus Christ as taught by the LDS. I've introduced several people to the gospel, inviting them to join the Church, only to see them leave within days after baptism, having been exposed to "anti-Mormon" information on the internet. I almost can't fault them. The Church does almost nothing (at the local level) to help people understand real Church history. The Church, either by precept or example, actually steers people away from coming unto Christ. It's very sad.


Virtually no one I grew up with had any discernible connection to, association with, or love for the Savior (as far as I could tell). My friends almost universally told people "We're Mormons, not Christians!"

The efforts the Church now makes (in Sunday School and elsewhere) are cursory and demonstrably calculated to obscure the full truth and deflect attention away from facts and issues Church leadership considers to be either "unsavory" or "unhelpful" to the missionary effort. ("Milk before meat" and all that. But the repetitive and almost exclusive focus upon "milk", year after year -- avoiding essential and fundamental doctrines while emphasizing reliance upon priesthood direction and authority -- eventually all but enervates even the most ardent convert.) People begin to come to Church for the wrong reasons: not because they love it (or look forward to it or enjoy it or get anything "out" of it), but because it is their "duty" to attend. They are "commanded" (on threat of going to hell or losing their social or religious standing) if they don't.  They go, even though, for many, it is a mind-numbing, uninformative, predictable and uninspiring experience. Anyone who is experiencing anything profound, revelatory, charismatic or "unorthodox" is almost reflexively branded as a "heretic".

Such is the state of modern Mormonism. Hardly Joseph Smith -- or even Jesus Himself -- would feel welcome in our wards today. (Imagine Bro. Joseph revealing some heretofore overlooked or misunderstood gospel truth. His teacher would, no doubt, ask "Where's that in the manual?" or say "The Brethren haven't taught that" and so the truth would be repressed. The first counselor in the bishopric would undoubtedly refer poor Bro. Joseph to the bishop and he would be "admonished" for "drawing attention to himself". He would be told to "keep your revelations to yourself". Abinadi's testimony would, no doubt, be characterized as "unedifying", perhaps even as a "rant and diatribe". It's unfortunate, but the Holy Ghost is only allowed to say nice, approved things in the Church.

The Church is slow to respond to attacks or criticisms leveled against it precisely because it interprets those efforts as "attacks" rather than as constructive efforts to discern and extrapolate truth (even if by "worldly" means). We are encouraged, rather, to get our "testimony" from God. But should every "testimony" contradict our very senses and the available historical evidence? Many reasonable people say "no".

I have a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I have a testimony of the Savior. My testimony is unassailable and unshakable. But I also know that Mormons believe much that isn't true and I regret that we are moving farther and farther away from the truth each passing year, even as we build greater and more glorious temples, expand the missionary effort, etc. We are becoming, as a people, more and more like the people of 2 Nephi 28.

The tactics of obfuscation, diversion, and suppression employed by the Church may work for children, the apathetic and the uninformed, keeping them in the pews, but tens of thousands who now leave the Church each year do so, I imagine, because they are dismayed by incongruencies they discover between what the Church teaches and what is actually practiced, between what Church leadership  say is "the gospel truth" now and what they said it was before. (They have not always been the same.) People see customs, traditions, practices and teachings of men elevated to the status of "eternal gospel truths" or "gospel laws" and, sensing the illegitimacy of those claims, they balk (and walk).


Frankly, the fruit of the Tree of Life is the focus of that painting in your office, Bishop Risenmay, not the rod of iron that you imagine. It is the love of God that is the first law of heaven (not obedience) and the second is like unto it: love your neighbor as yourself. It is not love that inspires one to say "I hope there's room for you in the gospel tent, Bro. Carter" but love that asks "How could I ever keep you out?" The Church is so busy sorting, quantifying, qualifying and, frankly, judging people that even a talk like Elder Poelman's has no place in it.

Those who leave are often starving to death spiritually. They are not given greater reason to believe or come to Church anymore. They are effectively being presented with a "substitute" gospel. They are not being fed. First their free agency and personal accountability to seek after and "discover" truth independently is repressed. They are told to "follow the Brethren" and given reassurances that if they "stay in the mainstream of the Church" then "all will be well." But when they ostensibly "keep the commandments" they find themselves still starved of its actual substance in Church -- a place were virtually no real revelation or spiritual gifts are manifest. The halls and classrooms of LDS chapels are, almost by definition, places where one encounters, almost exclusively, "the teachings of men, mingled with scripture". Few, if any, can (or are allowed to) bear true witness of their experiences with the Savior (if they have had any) and our apostles, by and large, are no more "special witnesses" of the Savior (except by their appointment as "apostles") than other members of the Church who have, likewise, come to know and love the Savior for themselves.

Strangely, the Church strives to impose a universal "orthodoxy" and conformity of thought, behavior and expression among its members, limiting and proscribing even what topics one may speak on or about. Members are now handed the "suggested" substance of their talks to be delivered in Church. The "correlated" study manuals -- weened of anything inspiring, controversial or revelatory -- tell you what to say, even what questions to ask (and not ask!). Yet, elementary, fundamental truths found in the scriptures are "forbidden" to be taught in Church, I have found out. The Spirit of the Lord is restrained. There is no more revelation, visions, healings, tongues, etc., or, if there is, it is very rare or the subject of "ancient" Church history, our father's father's faith. As Moroni warned, if these things are not now present, then faith does not exist and all is vain.

That well characterizes the Latter-day Saints today. They think themselves "enlightened", members of "the chosen race". But, by show of hands, few, if any, have ever had an audience (or even a spiritual experience) with the Lord.

Whom, then, are they following?

The church I belong to today is almost nothing like the Church described in the Book of Mormon or the church of Joseph Smith's time...or even the church I joined 35 years ago. It has "evolved" -- and, in many respects, I don't like what it has become. It has, indeed, become that "great and spacious building" Lehi warned about. In fact, much of 2 Nephi 28 now applies to the LDS Church -- something I never imagined as a youth. It's now more a "cult" than I assume it ever was...with the exception of the time the Church surreptitiously practiced polygamy, when members were actively encouraged to lie about the practice to outsiders. (Even to Congress!) It's a strange church we have become in which a recent living prophet has said he doesn't know we teach (or have ever taught) that man may become like God or that plural marriage isn't "doctrinal". The restored doctrines and practices of the LDS Church have been brushed aside to gain popularity and acceptance by the world. The stalwart faithful of the past have been painted as ignorant rubes and bigots to make the modern Church appear more palatable. And "truth revealers" have been scorned and persecuted, even excommunicated, for their efforts. (I do not "second-guess" Church leaders' decisions to excommunicate whom they will. They are privy to considerations I am ignorant of.) However, I am knowledgeable of the suppression of truth with regard to my own experience. Of that I am certain. And I find the whole terribly disconcerting.

What do Church leaders expect us to do -- those who undertake the missionary effort -- with those who claim the whole LDS superstructure is collapsing? They provide pictures! They document evidence! They quote from the Church's own scriptures and history books! Are we expected to simply bear our "testimony" and close our eyes, ignoring the obvious?

Perhaps. I've seen the Lord do great things. Men have overcome the "objections" of their senses and have walked on water or have turned ten thousand to flight. Not everything that is can be seen, nor is everything that can be seen real. There are great delusions afoot. This is true both within and without the Church.

It is a strange thing being a Mormon -- a condition proving to be measurably more difficult as Church leadership stifles discussion of basic doctrines, compels universal conformity of thought and expression, prevents examination or explication of Church history, constrains the Spirit of revelation and bearing testimony, and practices -- in place of true worship -- idolatry of Church correlation, practice and leadership.

These are the birth pains and difficulties of a people in gestation. We are fraught with flaws and weaknesses. We are imperfect. I clamor to make this clear: those who demand perfection of the Church, its doctrines, or its leadership will meet with disappointment ... because man has a hand in it. And wherever he does, there will be error.

This church may never allow me to serve as anything but a janitor. And I don't care anymore. I don't want to minister to a people who despise me (as this church does). It always has. For better and worse, I have lived according to the spirit that is in me. You have made clear that spirit is not approved nor appreciated in your congregation. So be it. You can live without it. I won't impose on you anymore.

I sent the following letter to a friend, who believes the Book of Mormon is fable, plagiarized from the Bible, at best, and no more "truthful" than The Wizard of Oz. (So I've ceded to him the ground, referring to Joseph Smith's writings (or translations) by facetious names: Dorothy and Toto, 2 Scarecrow, Tin Man, etc. You will find these references in the email I sent to him below, describing my experience in the Church.) I figure since you do not care to welcome or nourish me, but simply instruct me to stand down and shut up, I thought I might let you know what effect your "leadership" is having on me and my family.

***

Dear Brother Bill,

I suspect you may imagine (from my last email) that I oppose you or that I dismiss your justified criticisms of the LDS Church, its leadership, or even the Book of Oz. I don't. Your legitimate criticisms have merit and I welcome them. You are right about so many things! Please do not believe that I dismiss your truths simply because I do not accept all of them. (You are mistaken in some things, as am I.) We must always leave the door open for change, improvement and correction, until we come unto the perfect day.

I am simply astonished at what I am learning now. I have deep and abiding faith in what I am learning from Denver Snuffer. Nearly every day, nearly in every post I read, I encounter something else that rings true and correct. You would be surprised at what I find "true" from Denver Snuffer. Behold this little ditty from November 4, 2010, as Denver explicates 3 Scarecrow 15:9-10 (regarding the role of true prophets):

"For they truly testify of [Him]"--meaning they have and do testify of Him. Not of themselves. Not of a program. Not of an organization. Not of men. They testify of Him. Continually. Not intermittently, occasionally and without knowledge of Him. They do not borrow light from others, but they testify of the things which they know from Him. They will always do so. This is one of the ways you can detect "wolves" from "sheep" as they come professing religion. The true sheep will testify of Him whom they know. The wolves will ask you to follow men, and they interfere with knowing Him. Though you do all the wolves bid you to do, yet you will grow more distant from Him."
I have so found this to be true!
Our Lord is indeed a consuming fire, and is unwilling to share adoration with mere men claiming themselves to be worthy of adoration. (Deut. 4: 24.)
Amen!

I have found this to be positively true. My experience with some leaders of the LDS Church has been exactly that: some glorify themselves and lead men away from Christ, not knowing Him nor bearing witness of Him. They are "wolves" in "sheep's clothing" (even if they "innocently" act as such). Under their leadership, one may truly starve spiritually, because they do not lead men to true repentance or to active faith in God, nor do they reveal the Son to the children of light, but, rather, they hold themselves up as lights to be followed.

For several weeks now I have observed in church how our bishop, in the course of his "administration" or "bearing testimony", has born witness of the virtues of the stake president or the inspiration of the living prophet today and his love (not the Savior's love) for all of us. Yesterday at the pulpit he told the congregation how good Bro. _____ (the high priest's group leader) was, how Bro. _____ was "worthy" to sit on the stand with him and preside. He praised Bro. _____, as if Bro. _____ were to be praised. I've heard other members, including the bishop's own counselors, praise the virtues of the bishop. It's all very strange, a sychophantic circle of "celebrity worship" and "idolatry of the Brethren", where one praises the other. (It happens in virtually every organization. The leadership gets "idolized" and surrounded by "yes men". The bishop's own father is a General Authority in the LDS Church. The bishop therefore has "experience" in how "proper leadership" is to be maintained. The bishop leads the congregation like a CEO would lead a company -- efficiently and effectively, if not ruthlessly. He does it not for glory (perhaps), certainly not for money (there isn't any), but for duty and (maybe) for love. I do not doubt that the bishop has good intentions. He is sincere (or at least he tries to be) when he says "I love you." (He would say that to the homeless perhaps, so I don't know how deeply he means it with regard to me. He admits I'm a difficult case to love.)

Anyway, almost no one in Church praises the Lord or speaks of Him in familiar terms. He is merely a character in a story book to most of them, Someone they've never heard nor seen. The bishop talks about his blessings from God and God's goodness to him, the virtues of keeping the commandments, etc. But who talks about the Lord? Almost no one.

Ever since the leaders of the LDS Church (and a very grateful and sincere W.W. Phelps) penned "Praise to the Man" after the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith, the Church has slid farther and farther into idolatry of leadership and farther and farther away from the Lord....until today, when the living "prophet" (praise be upon him) can do no wrong. (He, mind you, never has said this. But as with the people who would have risen up to crown Jesus king if He had let them, the members of the Church today demand that the prophet always be a prophet (even when he isn't) and that everything he says and does be "inspired" (even when it's not). A fallen, faithless people always look for someone or something they can see to believe in...even if he just happens to be merely a man.

Now the leaders of the Church today are truly inspired of God (many times, very much so). But, often, it is "inspiration" little different (if any) from that enjoyed by the "imagineers" at Disneyland or the corporate heads at Walmart. Mormons certainly have no "lock" on revelation or inspiration and many of their "policies" are the teachings of men, mingled with scripture. This is always very dangerous, because when men are not inspired of heaven, mischief occurs.

In Primary (that's the LDS version of children's Sunday School) two weeks ago, I lead singing time. In between songs, I "interpreted" the lyrics the children sang, explaining them to them. (Nobody else does that, by the way. Everyone else just sings. Except me. I like to teach.)

We sang "Follow the Prophet". It's a cute little song, talking about various prophets sent to us by God. The chorus is catchy:
Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet; don't go astray.
Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet; he knows the way.
The kids always sing it with enthusiasm. It's a good principle generally. We should follow the prophet, shouldn't we? After all, he is God's mouthpiece. (I mean, what happened to those who said "Don't follow Moses!"? It didn't end well for them.)

I dared to ask the kids: "Whom should we follow?" They all shouted "The prophet!" Then I asked, "Can the prophet lead us astray?" "No!" they cried as one. "Oh, yes, he can", I informed them. (You might have thought I was teaching blasphemy, by the looks on some faces -- especially the women in the room!) "The prophet is a man", I said. "He isn't perfect. He can sin. He can lead us astray."

Blank stares.

"Who is perfect? Who will never lead us astray?"

Silence.

"Who heads this Church? Whose name is on the building?"

"The Lord?", one child volunteered, tremulously. (I think that was my kid!)

"That's right! The Lord! The Savior will never lead us astray! We must follow the Savior! Not just the prophet!" (You would have thought I were proposing homosexual marriage to these children, by the tension evident among the adults present. One or two of them left to get "back up"! But no one said anything to me.)

After a brief intermission, I lead the music again for an older group of children. By now the 1st Counselor in the bishopric was present, as was a seminary teacher.

One of the songs the kids sang was (one of my favorites) "When I am Baptized". It's a beautiful song. It talks about being made clean again through baptism. I asked the kids "How many of you have been baptized?" Nearly all hands shot up. Then I asked "How many of you have been baptized of the Holy Ghost?" They all stared at me in silence. They didn't know what I was asking.

Article of Faith 4 of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints states as follows: "We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost." The scriptures teach that those who receive this gift are to be "baptized" of the Spirit. They are to be "born again". (See John 3:5.)

I explained to these kids that water is only a symbol; it doesn't clean anything when we get baptized. The real "cleansing" comes from the blood of Christ and the influence of His Holy Spirit upon us.

These children were all baptized, members of the Church, yet hardly any of them knew anything about this most basic principle of the gospel. So I said "Maybe the Church doesn't teach this principle very well." (That sent off more alarm bells!) These children had not experienced the "mighty change of heart" spoken of (see Oz the Great and Powerful 5:12-14 or Cowardly Lion 5:2). They lacked maturity. They had tasted but little of sin (and hardly remembered doing so even if they had!). Nevertheless, I thought they should know something of receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, so I urged them to seek after this gift.

You would think (from the adults' expressions) that I had asked them to fly to the moon!

I explained that we, traditionally, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost when we are confirmed members of the Church, by the laying on of hands. I told them if they had not yet received this gift, they could still get it. “God can give it to you Himself.” (The seminary teacher chimed in: "By the priesthood".) However, she was mistaken. The ordinance is done by the priesthood, but the gift -- the Holy Ghost Himself -- is given to us directly by God. There is no intermediary. I wasn't going to argue with her, so I let it go.

But that was it. The bishop yesterday informed Sis. _____ (who is in charge of Primary) that I was no longer "allowed" to lead the music. Sister _____ told my wife. My wife told me. She added "I don't want to do this anymore", referring to participating in this church that practically screams "You are not welcome!" dabbling only in pablum and avoiding even the basic doctrines of the Church, to avoid "controversy".

My wife and I have a favorite song: "Fly to Jesus". (I'm sure you've heard it.) Our church leadership would never allow that song to be sung in meetings. It's too "casual" or "familiar" with the Savior's name, and, I'm sure, they'd say "dance for Jesus" doesn't really fit anymore with the "corporate" Mormon stereotype, even though Mormons are renown for dancing (unlike the Baptists). It's a shame. "Fly to Jesus" is a wonderful song of praise and worship.

I tell you this not to "stick it in the eye" of the LDS Church or to find fault with others, but to convey to you that I have, at least in part, an objective view of the LDS Church. I acknowledge that the body of "believers", by and large, is in a state of "orthodox" apathy, lethargy, even apostasy, trusting in the arm of flesh and the "prophets and apostles" to lead them aright. Nary one in a hundred, I imagine, spends more than a few moments a day (if that) in prayer or spiritual contemplation. Gross darkness covers the minds of (most of) the LDS people, though they would consider themselves, almost to a person, "enlightened".

However, not all they that be of Israel are Israel.

I recognize this. I feel it. I sense it and I believe it. (I wasn't willing to admit it, until recently, as I am ever eager to give others the benefit of the doubt.) But I see it in myself and I know that the forces of entropy, disbelief and ignorance are always present. We must study ourselves continually to insure that we do not become hard of heart or disbelieving. We must remain humble and teachable.

So why am I still a Mormon? (It ain't because of the love I feel from the membership or the leadership, I can tell you that much!) It's because I have two or three unshakable and unassailable "testimonies", received from God Himself by His Holy Spirit, which infuse me with knowledge, love and light. I could say there were many other things I "know" to be true (and I wouldn't be lying), but I would be reasoning by extrapolation. (I do not recall ever meeting the Father, for example.) So I will only speak to what I know by experience.

(1) I know Jesus Christ lives, that He is a perfect Being filled with light and love, that He knows me and loves me. I have heard His voice and I have seen His glory. He has revealed Himself to me by the power of the Holy Ghost. I have heard His words and know that He is. I cannot deny that Jesus lives or that He is my God and Savior (if I will allow Him to be).

(2) I know Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God. I gained this testimony of the Holy Ghost while reading the Doctrine and Covenants and The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Only later did I receive a witness of the Holy Ghost regarding that other book (you claim) he "wrote". Now my testimony of that book is just as strong as my testimony of the Bible. Even more so.

I guess that's about it. There are lots of other things I "know" to be true. But these few above are the ones that keep me in the Church (despite its flaws and shortcomings). I find no reason to abandon my "faith" any more than Paul found to abandon his "Jewishness". The Jews needn't be "true" in order for Jesus to be true, or His gospel. The flaws and failings now apparent in the Mormon Church, its history, membership or leadership, can only detract and undermine, but can never overturn, what I know to be true. And there is much that is true.

What I know to be true has delivered to me a system of salvation that has born delicious fruit to me (despite the thorns and thistles).

I'm not preaching to the choir (I know), nor am I arguing to a potential convert. I only want you to know that I love you, that I respect you, and that I can only speak from my experience.

I can offer you no more and nothing less.

--Will

21 comments:

  1. On a tangentially related topic, Will, I have been excommunicated from several gospel-related communities over the years. We all suffer the same thing in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an observer in this 'blog', as someone who is constantly seeing the half truths posted here by mostly everyone, the misinterpretations and gross, blatant misunderstandings and perversions of the spirit of those scriptures, I am NOT surprised to read what is posted in the comment above.

    Seems 'par for the course' for someone who likes to talk talk talk and talk about the 'spirit', talks about not wanting to having contention with others, yet starts 'discussions and arguments' with anyone who disagrees with their point of view.

    Mostly all contributors here are:
    NOT concerned with the spirit
    NOT concerned with understanding
    NOT concerned about others but only themselves (including forgetting and not caring about their own families)
    NOT concerned about the Savior or the spirit.

    They are concerned with being RIGHT....they are concerned more about being PROVEN not to be wrong or about making sure they tell everyone else how wrong they are.

    More concerned with making a spectacle of their lives and perverting scripture. Less concerned about understanding and more concerned with showing others how ‘they' are right.

    You are all concerned with being a SUPERSTARS.

    You feel jaded because you weren't made the 'leaders' you THINK, in your mind you should have been. That you weren't respected, or 'cherished' for the scholar you all 'think' you are…..You have to EARN respect and by trying to prove everyone else how ‘right’ you are is NOT the way to earn respect.

    Admittedly, you all know MUCH more detail about the scriptures than I will probably EVERY know...

    But the obvious thing to me...is that I know alot more about HUMILITY than all of you have ever even thought about. Anyone who is objective and reads these blogs and comments can see that.

    The only thing the owner of this blog is concerned about is ‘airing’ his dirty laundry. Trying to make himself feel better by ‘admitting’ all the things he has done wrong. He paints a picture of how ‘wronged’ he was. How it is the world against him.

    Let me tell you all something…..if it smells like a duck, and walks like a duck…must be a duck.

    I am not going to debate scripture with anyone, I probably could not keep up, but what I can see is a desperate need for most people on here to gain acceptance from others.
    Well you all seem to have accomplished that, you have all bonded over your hate of a religion that obviously, believes differently than you. Instead of moving on, you all criticize and bash others.

    Congrats to all, you wanted to be known and famous…well be careful what you wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One last thing... I don't know where the originator of the blog is located, but in my area, the Midwest Montana area, there are many people who agree with his views. So there are like minded people around. Maybe that would better suited for an area to search for people of the same mindset.

    I apologize if I came across harsh, it just seems that time and energy would be better spent finding like minded individuals than bashing and speaking ill of other who don't share your views.

    I wish you the best in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your clarification.

      I live in Indio, (Southern) California.

      Delete
  4. Dear J.R.

    That was an impressive piece of ad hominem. Please feel free to educate us on the "misinterpretations and gross, blatant misunderstandings and perversions of the spirit of those scriptures". I, for one, do not consider myself an "expert" on anything.

    I am glad to hear that you know more about "HUMILITY" than all of us combined. I could use more humility. I tend to come across as "arrogant" and I regret that. I'm sorry if I "struck" you that way as well.

    I have repeatedly expressed my desire to be proven wrong. I wish I were about all this.

    The reason we have "discussions" and even "arguments" is because we are NOT of "one heart and one mind". We are not Zion. There are differences of opinion and understanding involved. You are free to think and believe as you wish -- and even share your ideas and comments here. I won't stop you (unless you get abusive). I welcome your input.

    You may have a point about me neglecting my family. (How would you know?) Your claim that I lack concern for the spirit, understanding or the Savior hardly seems legitimate, however. Perhaps you can show me the error of my ways?

    Not a man among us (that I know of) claims or desires to be a "superstar". Not Tim, not Rock, not Denver, not Log...no one. I have no interest in being "popular" or "famous". I simply desire for the truth to be shouted from the rooftops and for the Lord's kingdom to be fully and finally restored on earth. I would welcome the return of our Savior!

    You think I'm airing my "dirty laundry" because I enjoy it? You misunderstand me. I agonized over the decision to do so. But I realized I would have no legitimacy -- I could claim nothing but the status of a hypocrite -- if I brought attention to the foibles of others but did not include my own egregious shortcomings. I believe in repentance. I believe in accountability.

    I also believe it works both ways.

    These men who have torn my family's religious observances asunder and ended my participation in the Mormon Church did so by practicing priestcraft and unrighteous dominion. They demanded that I surrender my agency to them, not to God. They are misguided. (Note I do not call them "evil" or "ill-intentioned". They are my friends. But sorely misguided, nonetheless. And hiding their error in the name of charity serves no good purpose inasmuch as the condition will only worsen and the practice become only more entrenched with time.)

    Perhaps you are already "tuning me out". If such is the case, I apologize for boring you with these "details".

    As for having any "hate of a religion", you will not find any of that here. I, for one, love the gospel of Jesus Christ and the faith restored through Joseph Smith. I have no "hatred" of any kind for the Mormons. I love much about that faith and would have preferred being permitted to practice my religion as a Latter-day Saint, unmolested by those who set themselves up as "guardians" of "orthodoxy" and "keepers" of a "catechism" that, frankly, is wrong.

    I have not labored to convince you that the Mormon Church has departed from its original moorings. Others have done that far better than I could. But if you've read carefully, you'll note that I do not want my family to leave the Mormon Church or abandon the people who pertain thereto.

    We are not interested in "bashing" anyone, but simply establishing the truth of all things. I hope you will reconsider your opinion of our efforts and motives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and about a question you asked in your reply to me. I do not 'know' your family, obviously.

      I guess I am going off the previous posts you have written, and the fact that it is virtually impossible to be this consumed with what you consider to be 'defending' yourself to the LDS church, that is just a logical conclusion that they are neglected.

      If I am wrong, I am wrong, but I am going to venture that I am not.

      Delete
  5. Will,

    He's mostly talking about me; or, rather, he has revealed what he would be thinking and feeling if he were to say what I said.

    And, knowing the truth, I take no offense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incidentally, do you know why municipalities pass laws against panhandling? (One may safely ignore the pretexts given.)

      It is because the panhandlers prick the consciences of those who have means to help but don't want to - who are covetous and judgmental - so they complain to the powers that be and have the poor cast out from among them. Thus they may go about their business with their consciences unmolested by the rebuking presence of the beggar.

      That is a pattern I have seen played out in many different contexts.

      Delete
    2. You arrogance is astounding but i don't worry about it. It's just "the pride before the fall". Enjoy.

      Delete
    3. Of course there are other options to casting the beggar out.

      One could feed the beggar, clothe the beggar, give money to the beggar. When he asks for bread, one could give something other than a stone. When he asks for fish, one could offer something more than a serpent.

      One could simply eliminate the beggar by giving him what he needs. When everyone is made "whole", will there be anyone left to beg?

      Delete
    4. JR,

      If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil; but if I have spoken well, why do you smite me?

      Delete
    5. I have no desire to get into a discussion with you. I really don't. Not because of any of reason than I am not entertained by you. I am not a fish that gets baited by a hook.

      See that is one of your issues. You did, whatever things you did, (I am not one to know, judge, or care), to get excommunicated from your church. Once they sent you that letter or had that meeting, you realized...that you were not the center of their universe anymore. So you take to the internet to voice your 'thoughts'.

      Well have at it. It matters not to me.

      You want to talk semantics...you make my point again by saying that I must 'defend' my comments. You want 'facts'. Well facts don't always tell the whole story, I do NOT expect you to understand that.

      Delete
    6. Oh that was specifically for you, Log. It seems you were desiring special attention, so there you go.

      Delete
    7. But, JR... you've misunderstood. The gospel-related communities I have been excommunicated from were online. They found me just as palatable as you seem to have.

      Well, for whatever wrongs I have done you, JR, I hope you'll forgive me, though I don't know what I have done wrong.

      Peace be unto you.

      Delete
  6. JR -

    I enjoyed this comment from you:

    "But the obvious thing to me...is that I know alot more about HUMILITY than all of you have ever even thought about."

    I wasn't aware that "humble" people brag about their level of humility. Very well done, sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess you got me didn't you Mike.
      See....there you go again.....starting arguments with others. when you all claim to just be 'persecuted'.
      Insult me all you want, it matters not to me at all.
      You obviously missed the point of my post, which I expected anyway. So have at it.

      Delete
  7. J.R.

    My name is Will Carter. I'm the author of this blog, a forum I have maintained since 2008 -- long before I ever imagined that I and the Mormon Church would ever part ways. In fact, if you had asked me -- even a month before I was excommunicated earlier this year, when I was doing baptisms for the dead with the youth in the temple -- if I would ever not be a member of the LDS Church, I would have said, "What! Are you crazy?"

    Well, call me crazy.

    This blog is not set up to incite, provoke or condemn. It is merely a record -- a trail of crumbs -- to help me and my children (and friends, if they're interested) know how I got here and where I'm planning to go. Maybe I'll make it. Maybe I won't. All I can do is try my best.

    This blog is a record of that journey. I try to reveal the truth here. Nothing more. Nothing less. If I have erred, please chime in and show me the error of my ways. I have asked for nothing less from the leaders of the LDS Church and, as this blog reveals, they have proffered nothing in return. "Do what we say. That's all you need to know."

    No, it's not.

    Maybe it is for you (and others), but not for me.

    As for me and my house, we will follow the Lord (not some substitute).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. J.R. has some issues.

    At first, I thought it was the JR I saw posting on other blogs, but it didn't take long to take in the tenor of the comment. Couldn't possibly be THAT JR.

    I hope this J.R. finds peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. J.R.

    It seems you have spent a lot of time reading this blog, including the comments. I offer the advice of one individual who has recently expressed a valid point of view in the comment section of this blog.

    "It just seems that time and energy would be better spent finding like minded individuals than bashing and speaking ill of other who don't share your views."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That got a laugh from me! Thank you, Insightful Nana!

      Delete