Saturday, September 13, 2014

The children's teeth are set on edge

I lifted my hands in prayer very early this morning, experiencing "the usual": neither a sign from the starry heavens nor a pillar of fire upon the earth. Rather I received a gentle reminder that I need to fully repent of the lingering resentment I feel toward certain "leaders" who were complicit in my excommunication from the LDS Church.

I must "let it go" and move on.

They continue to do what no one would expect a true messenger to do. And I must come to terms with that. I do not wish to be an "accuser of the brethren" or parade the faults of others before men. Whenever I feel compelled to lift a stone against those who have transgressed, I am reminded of my own transgressions...and I set that stone back down again.

If I “judge”, I will be judged. If I “condemn”, I will be condemned. I must forgive and forget. I should not only pity those who offended me, I must pardon them! And seek to hide their sins, not just from God but from me – to “look away”, as it were, and focus on my own “beam”, rather than on their (comparative) “mote”. Their sin against me was great, for sure. But mine have been greater still. Am I not worthy of death? How then can I claim that I am “justified” while they are not? Has the Lord “delivered” me? Am I “redeemed” from the Fall by His decree? Has He announced that I am one of His "sons", sealed up to eternal life?

Not yet. I still seek an audience with the Lord.

I was encouraged by recent events to take up writing in this blog again. The laborers now are truly few. I cannot stand idly by. The Lord did not give me this knowledge, this voice or this opportunity so that I would bury my talent in the sand and hide my candlestick under a bushel basket. I will stand and bear witness of what I know to be true, at all times and in all places and among all people.

Last Monday I drove (after teaching school) to Phoenix, Arizona, to hear Denver Snuffer speak on Tuesday morning. (I stayed overnight with one of my daughters at the Sheraton Desert Oasis Villas in Scottsdale, a lovely accommodation, graciously provided to us by Joe Jensen, the author of the blog Just and True.) Denver stunned the crowd of 600 or so by announcing that, as of the last General Conference (April, 2014), the Lord has withdrawn His priesthood authority from the leadership of the LDS Church. (I knew this already, having experienced it myself, not so much because I knew the Lord was with me, but because I saw the devil was with them.) The leaders of the LDS Church have been rejected by the Lord, Denver said. He also made clear that he came as a servant in the name of the Lord and that we were to receive or reject his words at our peril.

Denver encouraged us to organize – after he finished delivering the tenth installment of his year-long “talk” – into “unofficial” groups, meeting not as a corporate body (with legal status, officers, etc., as the LDS Church does), but as friends, neighbors and believers of Christ. He said the Lord does not need or require a legally recognized, government-approved church, just those who love Him, who can strengthen and fellowship each other. We do not need another building, Denver said. We simply need to meet wherever we can. (And later we did!)

He told us the Lord is about to shake the kingdoms of the earth (including the LDS Church); that this world is waxing old as a garment; that he (Denver) has been sent to prepare the way of the Lord, as John the Baptist did at the Lord’s first appearance. He declared that a temple must be built by a remnant of the Lord's people to which the Lord may come to receive them; that they must be gathered and be sealed to the fathers (meaning, to the “saved” men and women in heaven), otherwise the whole earth will be wasted at His coming. He said the names of the "righteous" – meaning those believers who come forward to be baptized in accordance with Christ’s “doctrine”, which doctrine Denver expounded and which baptism Christ (through Denver) has apparently renewed – are to be recorded in our groups and placed within that temple which is to be built.

Denver told us that he asked the Lord if “priesthood authority” might be extended to women as well as to men in our day. He said the Lord told him that because this world is fallen, priesthood is not extended to the fairer sex at this time; however, it will be in a coming day. He also said (if I understood correctly) that men are no longer to “sustain” other men in priesthood “offices” – for doing so inspires unrighteous dominion, aspirations, inequalities, and the formation of federations clamoring for power, position and prestige. Such fawning foments jealousies, sycophancy and “office seeking”. A man, he said, hereafter is only authorized to exercise priesthood authority (i.e., serve in any capacity in any group as a minister of Christ) only if he is duly ordained and can get seven women to sustain him! (If the man is married, his wife also must sustain him.) This, Denver said, would inhibit and preclude the type of unrighteous dominion, unworthiness and hypocrisy now prevalent in the LDS Church. It would flatten the Church into two levels: God and us. I suggested to Denver that this arrangement perhaps fulfilled the declaration of Isaiah, chapter 4:
1 And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.
Historically, that verse has been applied by the LDS to justify polygamy. Perhaps it ought to be “redefined” now to refer to priesthood service – by those who have taken upon themselves the name of Christ – to serve those who are otherwise lacking, to take away their reproach. (It will certainly refer in coming days to a dearth of men, after the Lord has finished His threshing and winnowing.)

I got to meet Geoff and Brett Bartel (whose words and wisdom I admire). I received many glad hands of fellowship and several expressions of thanks for things I had written on my blog. (Apparently some find them useful.) I also got to meet Daniel Rogers, a man who (like Denver) claims to have met Jesus and God the Father. I sat next to him at Red Robin, where a large group of us gathered to eat and fellowship after Denver’s talk. He related to us his using a Urim and Thummim – which he showed to us and carries with him always – by which he saw with his “third eye” heavenly things. He shared some of what he saw with us, even sketching it on a napkin! Amazing stuff! Hard to believe, I admit. But Daniel is like a child (even if he is a trained lawyer...grrr!). I looked into his eyes and saw no guile. I felt assured that he was moved by the Holy Ghost as he spoke. And I believed him.

I also sat with Tim Malone and his wife, Carol. (One sits with Tim. He doesn’t say much at such gatherings, being powerful in writing not like unto speaking. But perhaps that’s because he truly listens.) It was comforting to associate with these people – Daniel, Geoff, Tim – and many others – including Joe Jensen, Tony Giles and his wife, Christie – at a dinner table the night before. We gathered openly to speak, unabashedly, of Jesus (our God), of His gospel and the events currently unfolding, taking over a large portion of a restaurant there in Mesa. (The employees and other patrons must have wondered what was afoot. There was excitement and energy everywhere.)

When Denver finished speaking the next day, discharging his errand from the Lord, he abruptly exited the venue. Another man stood up, apparently at Denver’s behest, and solemnly “seconded” Denver’s witness in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. And that was that! It was over. No forum for asking questions. No “after-talk chat” with the lector as he had allowed many times before. No group song or public prayer. We were left rather to ourselves, all alone, not knowing what to do!

I can better imagine now what those who walked to Emmaus must have felt: a smattering of inspiration, grief, real fear, awful wonder and confusion. And tremendous dread. A solemn dread fell upon all in that room on Tuesday, not unlike what the people of King Benjamin must have felt when they recognized their awful state. Only perhaps we were less hopeful! For they had their King Benjamin! A prophet who communed with angels! But our "Elvis" had left the building. There would be no "idol" for us to follow, no stand-in for Christ, no substitute for the Savior.

We all recognized that we had reached a “fork” in the road. The Lord would have no one “coasting” on anyone’s coattails. Or walking by borrowed light. It simply wouldn’t do anymore to “go with the crowd” or "stay with the mainstream of the Church" (the majority of which has apostatized, by the way). There were comparatively few souls in that room. If we stayed in "Jerusalem", we were told, we would die. If, on the other hand, we joined with this "prophet", we would most certainly be "cast out of the synagogue" and find ourselves wandering in the wilderness on our own. It was a grim prospect to take in.

Leaving “Jerusalem” – and all our "precious things" behind – would require of us a great sacrifice. And a certain knowledge. We would have to inquire of God and receive an answer from Him for ourselves.

A few rose to the podium, endeavoring to immediately put into practice what Denver had directed: to assemble ourselves into small geographical groups, for fellowship and what not. (I had nowhere to go and none with whom to form such a “group”, as I am the only person I know of within 100 miles of my home who embraces this “faith”. I later met someone from San Diego.) Still, I was not eager to “plunge” into forming another organization, perhaps making the same “mistake” Brigham Young made (with other saints) when he "stepped into the gap" after Joseph and Hyrum were taken. We must rise up, for sure! But we must also wait upon the Lord and first receive our errand from Him. He is able to do His mighty work. We cannot – we dare not – undertake to do it for Him. Or without Him.

Consider the example of Amulek. He went about his business, perhaps even carelessly. But the Lord called him anyway, by an angel, no less, because He needed him…and Amulek was found “worthy” -- despite his rebellion, wickedness and hardness of heart. (If anything, that should give us all hope!) There was no uncertainty in Amulek’s mission or testimony. Neither in Alma’s. They knew what to do, having been instructed by an angel of God and being guided by the Holy Ghost. In something so great and important an enterprise as leaving the Mormon Church (if necessary) no one ought to rely upon the words of a mere man alone, even one as notable and believable as Denver Snuffer.

We must all have our own oil in our lamps.

If it is any consolation, I, too, felt dread and not peace at Denver’s parting. His words were “hard” to “hear”. But were not Jesus’? Did they not say to Him, too: “You have spoken hard things”? And did He not say to them: “Will ye also go away?” Only Peter and those with him recognized that Jesus spoke the words of eternal life. Surely there were many in those days who pretended to messianic ambitions. How were the saints able to discern the impostors? By relying on the leaders of the Church? The leaders killed Jesus! Might Denver be one who deceives? Perhaps. (I don’t wish to sow seeds of doubt by suggesting as much.)

What, then, is required to discern “true messengers”? How did Peter or Nephi do it? What did they rely upon?

I have re-read all that I wrote before, beginning from the first time I “met” Denver Snuffer, and I can testify that I felt the Lord’s influence in my life in greater abundance from that time forward until now; that I was edified, infused with light and knowledge, and uplifted (even as I was humbled – and continue to be humbled – by what Denver has written and spoken) to repent and return to Christ. This is a true messenger. I cannot deny it and I will not doubt it, even though it scares me to declare it. The veracity and “goodness” of what Denver has delivered to us is evident to me. I am reassured by all that has gone before. A lifetime of study, prayer, repentance and experience has prepared me for this day.

But it is not a day to follow another man! It is a day to come unto Christ, even as Nephi enjoined. “Have ye inquired of the Lord?” That is the key. The Lord will not have us follow anyone else – even another "Nephi"! We must follow the Lord. And that, in a nutshell, is what Denver is requiring us to do. The Lord, by fire, will empty the earth of her inhabitants, even those who have turned from Him, who have not sought Him and who do not inquire of Him. But remember, the kingdom of God will not be gathered in haste (to form another church) or by flight (to leave the one we have). The Lord will go before us and back us up. All those who will be gathered will come unto Him.

After we overcame the initial “shock” of Denver’s talk – and his taking off his coat and shaking it, as it were, tossing it squarely upon us, effectively placing on us the onus of coming unto Christ – we got into the spirit of fellowship and had a great time discussing all that we had seen and heard, individually and collectively.

Denver had told us that we were not to pay one more dime of tithing to any priest; that tithing was intended for the poor; that the LDS Church leadership had sought to “hide their counsels from the Lord”, primarily, by hiding the Church’s expenditures of tithing funds, even inducing mission presidents to conceal how much money they receive from the Church. Equally disconcerting was the “modest stipend” General Authorities receive -- which somehow enables many of them to become millionaires while ostensibly not practicing “priestcraft”. How are they able to profit from writing books and whatnot, serving in Church capacities, even by filling appointments to boards and business owned by the Church, with all the benefits thereof, while many in the Church are actually starving to death? It is a gross disparity and hypocrisy of the Brethren to (as Denver puts it) “dine sumptuously” while such economic disparity exists among the saints. Tithing should not go to this “elite” priest-class that has evolved within the Church, at the expense of the rest. This is perhaps Denver’s greatest “complaint” against modern Mormonism. It has “evolved” into something “Catholic”, a condition that is inevitable for all human organizations. (That’s why he favors having no “official”, legally incorporated – and thus corruptible and, ultimately, humanly controllable – church.)

What are we to do now? I told my new friends at Red Robin that our endeavor ought to be to obey the words of Matthew 5-7, to put into practice (as “Log” reminded me) Jesus’ teachings. Seeking for “signs” and “wonders” would be worthless without becoming like Christ. Daniel Rogers seconded that notion, explaining that serving as suggested would also guarantee being received by Him (even if we fall short of meeting Him in this life):
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
The Lord promises to receive such as serve Him, even vicariously, if they do so with an eye single to His glory.

Thus we must go and do.

That is all.

But what to do about worship on Sundays? Denver says we ought not “waste” another three-hour block in vapid, vacuous and vain discourse. Rather we ought to gather in small groups and do as the scriptures require:
9 And their meetings were conducted by the church after the manner of the workings of the Spirit, and by the power of the Holy Ghost; for as the power of the Holy Ghost led them whether to preach, or to exhort, or to pray, or to supplicate, or to sing, even so it was done. (Moroni 6:9.)
He also said we should not allow any “anti-Christ” to discourage or prevent us from partaking of the sacrament in remembrance of Him, or even from administering the same in one’s home. In fact, for sisters not holding the priesthood – by which the ordinance ought to be performed – he said he would counsel them to administer the sacrament anyway to themselves...then ask the Lord for forgiveness! (It’s that important, apparently.)

I have not partaken of the sacrament in five months. I have greatly missed it.

My goal here is not to replicate or report all that Denver spoke on Tuesday, but to touch on those things that are memorable to me. I wish to come unto Christ. Of late I have not experienced the inspired dreams, visions, revelations or miracles I have known previously. (But my wife sure has!) Yet I believe Denver to be a prophet of God. Those who bless him (Denver said) the Lord promises to bless and those who curse him the Lord promises to curse. (I believe that, too! For we have been greatly blessed since May, 2013!) Denver’s words speak truth to my soul. I know (by experience) he is telling the truth about the LDS Church leadership (in general), as much as I wish it were not so. 

I dearly wish Denver were mistaken. But I believe he is not. I know the “Brethrenites” in the LDS faith have been feverishly, even frantically, trying to “cover up” and “spin” every incongruity of their doctrine, history and “witness”, to “put down” every “challenge” to their “testimony” and “authority”. The leaders of the LDS Church are playing “defense”. They are trifling with the souls of men. With clever rhetoric and obfuscation they present as “modern revelation” old quotes of other men and strive to lead others to follow them and trust in them rather than come unto Christ.

And when their “prophesies” fail and their doctrines prove to be false, they discard them…pretending they never mentioned them, believed them, or relied upon them at all. Thus, they show themselves to be false ministers and false prophets. And when they persecute the saints, they become “false priests who oppress”. I know them well.

8 comments:

  1. You say that Daniel has a Urim and Thummim? You also say that he showed it to you? What does it look like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I held it in my hand. As I recall, Daniel's stone is somewhat oval in shape, almost 3 inches in length and slightly more than 2 inches in width, but no more than 3/4 inches thick in the middle, tapering toward the edges. (It would make a good skipping stone!) It is milky cream, brown, and orange-ish in color, with a slightly translucent quality in some parts of it, being a type of agate or quartz (I suppose), with a discolored "dimple" or two. While otherwise smooth in texture, it is less "regular" or "symmetrical" than a typical river rock. Daniel said the Lord promised to touch it one day and make it "perfect", or something to that effect. I would prefer to let Daniel tell you how he uses it, the process being quite extraordinary (but not unlike Joseph placing his stone in a hat).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will - This is an amazing post! Glad to have you back posting again. I hope you'll continue.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will- Thanks again for posting. I was there as well- sitting next to you and your daughter during most of the conference. I was there at the restaurant afterwards as well. You've done a great job capturing the sense of excitement and awe along with the pain and lamenting the loss of church authority. This overwhelming sense of ``what now'' and the realization that we all need to step things up and clean up our lives further if we're ever going to live up to what will be expected of us by the Lord. Thank you for sharing this. I've enjoyed your perspective on the events.

    -jmg

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was nice to meet you. Thank you for your testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you decided to start blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe in the message Denver has given us from the Lord. I know this might be hard to believe, but I reside in SLC (Riverton to be exact) and don't know any community that I can belong to, can you help me get connect to a community as Lord has instructed us to do so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply! I don't -- or haven't -- read the comments, generally, or, if I do, I don't often comment on them (especially the "anonymous" ones!)

      I can't help you find a group, since I don't belong to one, am too far removed to attend one, and don't know anyone who belongs to one in your area! (All my SLC friends have abandoned me!) At the last conference -- Denver's, not the LDS's ;o) -- groups were organized, but I was not a part of that.

      This would be my advice: Start seeking out the less fortunate around you. Serve them. As Abraham did, gather like-minded souls to yourself, to your own family and way of thinking.

      That's how I found my wife. That's how I introduced her to the gospel. That's how I will "grow" my own community.

      An entire world -- and all the glory and folly thereof -- is worth it to save just one soul.

      It may surprise you, but this "engine" that produces gods is not modulated for efficiency; it is designed to achieve perfection. It crushes every grape, extracting every last drop that is worthy to be harvested and saved. The rest is cast off. This "process" is on-going, worlds without end. If 100 billion people are destined to be gods, and only one person were saved during each 7,000 year period of mortal existence, then 100 billion worlds would be required -- and used! -- to perform that work. Worlds without end.

      We over-estimate the number actually coming unto Christ and under-estimate the degree of devotion required of us to actuallydo so.

      We don't have to be perfect. We don't even have to be good.

      We just have to be committed, 100%. He can work with that. Hot or cold, it doesn't matter. Good or bad, He can work with! But indifferent, apathetic, non-committal. He spits it out! The double-minded man will receiving nothing from the Lord.

      Delete