Thursday, April 28, 2016

Not My Will

When Jesus was 12 years old, He was already about his Father’s business. (See Luke 2:49.) Nevertheless, He submitted Himself to the will of his mortal mother and step-father and, as the scriptures report, He “increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.” (Luke 2:52.)

I have done none of that. In my relentless pursuit to find (and fight) for, what I understood to be, both truth and right (and even to “be” right), I’ve burned nearly every bridge I’ve crossed and ruined nearly every relationship I’ve had. My closest, dearest friends live far away from me and my closest family wants little or nothing to do with me. 

I’ve been married three times. And each time I’ve married, I’ve succeeded in turning someone who loved me dearly and chose to be with me into someone who would rather not. I managed to get a church which scours the world seeking new converts to cast me out and banish me as “the twofold more child of hell” I’ve become.

When Jesus appeared to me in a dream (36 years ago), I was a reeking, sickly, mute and filthy “child.” I threw my arms around His neck and kissed Him! And His love, as undulating beams of light, emanated from His body and pierced my soul, filling me with His love and light. I thereby learned He was and is the Light and the Life of the world.

But first I had to learn that I was broken, sickly, powerless, faithless, a creature of this fallen world, in darkness and irredeemable without Him. I had to learn that I was hopeless, powerless and unable to make the world as I would have it be — perfect — unless I embraced Him and His perfection, unless I ate His body and drank His blood, unless I became even as He is.

And His ways were not my ways. He is not “the natural man” (see Mosiah 3:19). Just the opposite. He is the personification of godliness, the Man of Holiness, the Everlasting Father (see Hebrews 1:2-3; Moses 7:35; Isaiah 9:6.) His ways are not my ways (Isaiah 55:8-9), but His are the right ways. He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. (John 14:6.)

All my life I have walked in darkness, stumbling in the wilderness, as it were, following a “man dressed in white” through a “dark and dreary waste” (see 1 Nephi 8:5-8). I have learned that holy men cannot save me. Trying to follow them is a fool’s game. 

Nine years ago I had a dream. In this dream I stumbled and faltered spiritually, unsuccessfully navigating an “obstacle” course of sorts around my neighborhood and home. I encountered pitfalls and roadblocks at every turn. I could not complete the course successfully. Then I saw a small child on a tricycle and recognized her as my daughter (a daughter whom my wife and I had not yet had). I called to her, but she would not come to me.

“Why won’t my daughter come to me?” I asked the man beside me, dressed in white. (He happened to be a black man.)

“When you were in trouble, she stayed behind to help you. But when it was her chance to be born, you cut off the stream of life and she was given to another family.”

“You mean she is not my daughter anymore?”

In that dream, I saw my daughter ride off into the sunset.

That dream has had several meanings to me. At the time, my wife was pregnant with our third daughter. We wanted another boy (giving us four children in all, so that we could “call it quits” and be done with childbearing). But that was not to be. This girl (in my dream) had golden, curly hair. She was full of light and love. I was awestruck at her beauty and enraptured by the glorious prospect of raising her as my own. 

When I awoke from that dream, I found my wife asleep in another room, nursing our son. I told her of the glorious daughter we were about to receive. We cried together with joy. That girl has been everything I envisioned. Her golden curly locks have long been recognized as one of her most distinguishing features! And she is filled with light and love.

But time marches on. We had two more sons after that, giving us six in all — three boys and three girls — an even half dozen! We were done. Our “quiver” (and, more importantly, our minivan) was full. Then the Lord, by happenstance, reminded me of the dream I had of the young girl on a bicycle with training wheels (or a tricycle) and, by the voice of His Spirit, He told me that another child, another daughter, awaited coming to our family. 

I told my wife of my revelation and, having it confirmed to her own soul, she submitted to the will of the Lord and brought forth another daughter, our fourth girl and seventh wonder of the world.

This child is the personification of love and light. She often hugs me and gives me love I surely don't deserve. She is the kindest, sweetest little thing. She is yet untainted by the world.

But recall that I asked the man in white why my daughter would not come to me. 

Because of my hard heartedness, stiff neckedness, impatience, self-will, unkindness, and “my way or the highway” approach to leading my family these past 16 years, my latest wife has put me on notice that she is prepared to divorce me now. I am about to lose my precious children and they will be given to another.

Several months ago I heard a voice. It came to me even as a whisper. It came to me in the stillness of a quiet afternoon as I sat pondering my life. “You will lose your job and your house and your wife and your children" was all it said. I did not recognize the voice at first. I did not know if it was of God or of the devil (or perhaps even myself!). I immediately began to doubt the voice and wondered if it was my own imagination. 

But it was too much like the Lord's voice, His way of doing things, to be ignored. It was too much like the test given to Job (see Job 1) or the judgment of God upon king Belteshazzar (see Daniel 5) to dismiss. After all, I had heard the Lord's voice before...but that was a very, very long time ago.

I was aghast at the thought! I was incredulous! I was filled with dread! These were the things I had sought and worked for my whole life! They were what the Lord had given me, or rather, they were what the Lord had allowed me to have.

Would I be led to proclaim: “The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord”? (See Job 1:21.)

My whole world has now become unraveled. I am currently “employed,” but I’ve "lost" my job (being placed on paid administrative leave). I’ve "lost" my home. (My wife has invited me to move out.) My older children despise me and will not speak with me. (I've "lost" them, too.)

I have witnessed the bitter fruit of my own failure to lead my wife and children to Christ. I toyed with the idea of writing a blog post entitled “Failed Zion,” but I do not know enough of Zion to know what I need to do to achieve it or even how I might measure how badly I’ve failed at it.

I guess I know now. I have not “increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.” My older children now despise reading the scriptures (as they despise following me). They do not have confidence in the efficacy of prayer but are enthralled in all the toys and gimmicks and distractions common to our culture and time. They have hardened their hearts against the word of the Lord and against the God of heaven.

And so have I. While not weary of well-doing, I have grown faint in offering my prayers and feasting on the scriptures as I ought. "Does the Lord listen to me?" I wonder. "Will He answer my prayer? Will He give me my heart's desire, even as I am striving (and horribly failing) to achieve it?" 

And what is it I want? I WANT MY WIFE! I WANT MY CHILDREN! I WANT OUR FAMILY TO BE TOGETHER AND HAPPY! I WANT US ALL TO PARTAKE OF THE FRUIT OF THE TREE OF LIFE TOGETHER!

A few days ago, when none of my clan would raise his or her voice to offer prayer on our behalf, I undertook (as is my wont) to do so, but this time I departed from the “standard” offering of thanks to God for our “many blessings," asking that His providence continue. (We have had our fill of material blessings. Our cup literally overfloweth!)

Yet we are spiritually and physically dying as a family.

So, knowing how deprivations and want can often inspire one to become humble — and knowing that humility and true gratitude, even love for each other and all that we have were in short supply — I offered this prayer instead:

“God, please curse us. Remove Your blessings from us that we might learn to appreciate all that we have. Cause roadblocks and stumbling stones to be placed before us, hedging up our way, that we might learn to rely upon You and be grateful for all You do for us! Place burdens on our backs. Make us humble, so that we will repent of our sins, our hardness of heart and blindness of mind. Cause us to have broken hearts and contrite spirits. In Jesus' name, amen.”

My wife told me afterward: “That was the last straw! I cannot be married to a man who asks God to curse us!”

I understand her fears and misgivings about being married to me. Who could rely upon such a man as I am?

I want us all to rely upon and follow Christ! (I’m having difficulty enough just doing that myself!) Even if I were a “man in white” to my family, it would, eventually, be futile for them to follow me. I don't know the way. He does! I should only be "followed" inasmuch as I am following the Lord! (And, truth be told, I’m doing a piss-poor job of that.)

How do I know? Well, for one, my wife and children are abandoning me. I have led them (as I left the LDS Church) to “wander in the wilderness,” as it were. My own sins (which have been many, some grievous) are another “testimony” of my unreliability and fallen nature. I am not “flesh” in which anyone ought to place his or her trust. (At least my wife and children are “wise” enough to see that now!)

But soon I will be alone (I fear). ALL that I have worked for my whole life, it seems, is soon to be undone.

Yesterday morning I went to my closet and offered a prayer to God (on my knees, out loud, for the first time in many days). My prayer was simple and direct: “God, help me!”

I rose from my knees, went to my room, laid down on my bed, emotionally and physically drained…then the phone rang.

A holy man (coincidentally, a black man I’ve known for many years, a man with a great marriage and seven children of his own) was on the line. He told me he felt inspired to call me. (He later told me his daughter had had a dream the night before in which she was prompted to “reach out” to the Carter family. His wife had prompted him to do the same. He first considered putting it off for a week, but, then, after further consideration, felt moved to call me just then. Just now. Just after I had prayed.)

We agreed to meet. And this morning, as yesterday morning, we met and discussed my situation. It is exactly as the “man in white” — even as that black man — laid out to me in vision 9 years ago. I am failing, badly. I am about to lose everything, surely. I am about to lose my job, my house, my wife and my children. They are about to be given to another.

This man told me: “I am here as a direct result of your prayer. From here on out, everything that happens will be in fulfillment of that prayer. The Lord intends to honor your request.”

Oh my.

My little girl, the light of love, is turning three next month. She is ready to ride a tricycle. Whether she rides into the sunset — as she did in my dream, and is lost to me forever! — or she comes into my arms, I do not know.

I only know that my will has not worked. My version of Zion has failed. My will ought not be done. It doesn’t work. It’s a failure.

I have lost the love and devotion of my wife and older children. I confess my sin to her, to my children, to you and to the Lord. I pray the Lord will be merciful and that my “bondage” will not last forever. I pray the Lord delivers me and my family. I love them with my whole soul! I love the Lord. But I must be "broken" in order for this "seed" to crack and bring forth real fruit. (The dry, sterile kind which I produce, apparently, is unfit for consumption.)

The Lord’s fruit is found in keeping His commandments. Those commandments, as found in the Sermon on the Mount, are so radically different than anything you will be taught in church that you may not learn or heed them if you focus on practicing your particular “religion.” Christ was not religious. (And that irked the “religious types” of His day.) His manner of “worship” was so private, so personal, so hidden from the world that even His disciples had to plead with Him to teach them how to pray. (See Luke 11:1.)

Our “religion” ought to bless and not curse, do good and not evil, pray for and not against our brethren. The black man, symbolically arrayed in white, told me my prayer of “cursing” was a “bold” prayer. God would have us be "hot" or "cold," not lukewarm. I took a stand and made a commitment. I was prepared to call down the very fire of heaven on both me and my family, if it would save us all.

I pray it will. I pray I have the fortitude to endure it. I pray I have the courage to ensure that “not my will, but thine, be done." (Luke 22:42.)

Blessed be the name of the Lord.

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Daniel. I poured out my soul to the nth degree today: until my heart melted like wax and my eyes ached with bloody tears. I stifled great heaves of anguish, soaking my towel, and wailed for my loss, rent with anxiety for the welfare of my wife and my children's souls.

      I am losing them and, for the most part, they don't care.

      I'm not in control. I cannot do (or undo) anything that matters now. I can only wail and mourn and suffer my days without my wife and children, praying they will be cared for and led by the Lord.

      Delete
  2. Having a broken heart is never easy for the bearer of the heart. Blessing on you and your family.

    God is in charge, He has shown you startling things.

    Can we learn while here on earth to love as Jesus loved? It is a task for those who have great courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To love as Jesus loved is to hurt as Jesus hurt.

      Delete
  3. Inadequate? Absolutely. Alone? No, dear brother.

    "LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha."

    "29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

    30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first."

    Will, you are not my friend. I don't know you well enough to say so. However, you are my brother. Fact is, nothing you have said seems odd or alien to me. Most people talking about the gospel are either not living it or are whitewashing what it is really about. If experience is a litmus test, seems like you are exactly where you are meant to be.

    Who can be alone if they have an eye single to the glory of God? If God is with you, who cares who is against you? That's the plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just want to echo Rob's thought because it has been a thought I have had so many times in the past 4 years about myself: "seems like you are exactly where you are meant to be." God is blessing you, brother. My heart is filled with prayer on your behalf. May God bless the Carter family and much, much more goodness...

    ReplyDelete
  5. May God answer your prayer and open the Windows of heaven for your family. Your struggles are ours. I'm praying for you brother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Brother in Christ, It has been 26 years for me since Jesus Christ showed himself to me in a dream, you are not alone in this. Sometimes it feels like it, it is hard for others who haven't had this experience to understand, if you talk about it, often their eyes will glaze over in disbelief and a look of "you are crazy" comes over them. I promise you are not alone, for me the feeling of love that washed over me is indescribable, and has never left me, it is always there and you can reach in and lean upon it. When Jesus Came to the Nephites he described his gospel as Faith, Repentance, Baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost, he said any more or less was not of him, so focus on these things. (3 Nephi 11:31-41) Also Fasting is one of the most powerful tools you have, with it you tap into the power and authority of God. (Alma 17:3,9). My journey for the last 26 yeas has been full of Sadness, and heartache, full of trauma and grief, there have been many happy days as well. It hasn't been very long since I was in a very similar circumstance as you. through much fasting and prayer I have endured through it and am a much better person. My eyes have been opened more fully to the truth of the awful circumstances our world and church are in. As Lehi I tremble to see the truth. (1Nephi 1:6) Lastley I leave you with the words of Nephi

    Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life. (1 Nephi 31:20

    two of the definitions of endure from Webster are
    1 -to experience (pain or suffering) for a long time
    2 - to deal with or accept (something unpleasant)

    Endure you can do it, you will be better for it, I promise,





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of comfort, Anonymous. I am busted up. The hand of God led me here. Now the hand of God, it appears, is leading me away. I do not want to leave! But others around me say I must go. How very sad.

      Delete
  7. Will, I was also impressed to contact you but failed to listen to the spirit; why would he, be interested in hearing from me, I don’t know him, what could I possibly say?
    You know the Lord is the only one who can provide any comfort at this point, you know that. But I will offer this.
    Ten years ago this Sunday, May 1st, I chose to make changes in my life, to follow the Lord at all costs. I lost my wife and best friend, my home, my business and my self-respect. By year end I was homeless and unemployed after over $600k household income the year before.
    But, spiritually speaking it was required, and my only hope to become who the Lord wanted me to become, I wouldn’t wish the last ten years on my worst enemy, but it was the best thing (spiritually) that ever happened to me, if that makes any sense.
    TRY, as best you can to be calm in the communications with your family, things won’t always be this bad, and with God all things are possible. You can and most likely will have a better relationship again with them, so communicate with them, humbly and peacefully. (I just had my x-wife of 10 yrs. sell my home for me)
    Keep those simple prayers in the closet coming and don’t allow Satan to poison your faith in Christ, and you will come out of this a better servant and disciple, understanding loss, heart ache and acquainted with grief.
    You’ll be in my prayers, God bless William!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John, for sharing your wisdom, experience and faith with me and all of us.

      Delete
  8. Prayers for love, light and healing to come to you Will. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, all, for your prayers and support. Please pray for my wife and children, too. The complexity of our situation is teaching multiple lessons to many simultaneously! I would not do this, if I could prevent it. "Father, let this cup pass from me!"

    Perhaps Jesus' greatest act was letting OTHERS act on His behalf, even against Him. They thought they were saving themselves by killing Him! (When, all along, He was saving them and they didn't even realize it.)

    I've been "saving" my family all along. But now there's no room in the "house" I built...for me.

    I imagine my wife and children will learn to live without me. (That breaks my heart!)

    But I can't imagine how I will ever learn to live without them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brother in Christ - I can't imagine the pain you are going through. My families' prayers for you, your wife, and your children will be with you. Stay strong and seek comfort from our Savior. His peace is the only peace that lasts amidst the turmoil around us in this fallen world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am hurt beyond measure. I am sorry beyond words. I am destroyed and rent asunder.

      Delete
    2. My heart-strings are broken up! My spirit is melted like wax! I rend the air with my cries! My eyes fill with blood and I water my face with my tears! My soul is undone! My hope in this world is shattered! The one I cherished above all (among women) has forsaken me! The one I would die for has required my "death." As great as was my joy in her (and it was truly great), so great now is my sorrow and my undiluted agony! I will confess, she was my cherished lamb! And now she is taken from me! I wail at the gate and am not comforted. I lie in sorrow and do not find rest.

      Delete
  11. I am 6 months late, Will. I am so sorry for you. I have enjoyed your words on forums and FB. May the Lord bless you as he did with Job and may you be enlarged.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's all good, Steve. Better late than never! People "bounce around" my blog and read here and there. Your comments -- and best wishes -- are always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The funny thing is: this post is just as relevant today as the day I wrote it! I'm in the exact same spot, fraught with the very same emotions! I'm unwilling to move, unwilling to leave behind the ones I love! I wish I didn't have to go!

    But I may be given no other choice. :o(

    ReplyDelete