Saturday, January 31, 2015

Letter to a friend

Dear Bill,

Perhaps it is the right time to "reintroduce" you to something I believe to be true. I would say I "know", but I have not yet cried unto the Lord with sufficient faith to be received by Him in the flesh, to have my sins remitted and be ushered back into His presence. I understand that some of those who have believed these things have had this experience...and thus they truly know now for themselves. I merely believe...but apparently I don't believe enough to act on it. I yet maintain some unbelief. I hope to rid myself of that faithlessness soon.

Even so, I invite you to open up the scriptures and read this text ("What is a Prophet?", by Robert Sonntag, 10.30.2014) with an open heart and mind. Be advised: the LDS Church (or Mormon Church) is not "true" in the sense that I have said it was true in the past. It is in a state of apostasy -- as is the host of modern Christendom. You can discern and measure that apostasy easily enough, after reading this article, by answering this one question: have any of us come back into the literal presence of God? 

This article plainly manifests and correctly describes (in my opinion) the state of those who haven't.

I am "in the same boat" as you. Do not interpret my sharing this article with you as "throwing down a rope". We stand side by side. I am merely holding up a ladder...which we both must climb if we are ever going to get out of this pit. I believe with all my soul that these things are true. I am convinced of it. It is the clearest distillation of all I have learned and perceived throughout my life. I was only kept from perceiving it for so long because the church that delivered these truths to me was, itself, in a state of apostasy and the leaders thereof, for the most part, could not understand, embrace or practice the very principles -- they could not wield the very "instruments" -- they held in their grasp. Mormons have had this ladder all along! They've just never been taught or shown how to climb it. 

thought I was a member of the Lord's "true church". I now believe that I have merely been milling about the place, lingering outside, sometimes hearing the music sung from within, sometimes bumping into one or two who have truly "seen and heard" for themselves and who have given a truthful report of their experience, while I myself have not yet seen or heard in full. (On one or two occasions I have been ushered inside, but I think I slept through most of it!) I have not yet fully "awakened" nor have I been "formally" introduced to the Man of Heaven as I want to be. Perhaps you would like to meet Him, too, and be forgiven of your sins (as this document purports to be necessary in order to be truly "saved").

I don't just want your advice or opinion on this subject. I want your company. I am making the ascent. I invite you to join me.

--Will

9 comments:

  1. Do we care about prophets because we're looking for leaders?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We care about prophets because we wish to become such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not stick to the scriptures on THAT subject and leave the polemics alone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely you have read: "And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom, seek learning even by study and also by faith." (DC 109:7)

      Delete
    2. Yes. I have also read "only a man who is saved could possibly lead others to salvation," and "But only a high priest with an open and familiar relationship with heaven can teach the principles of the gospel in a way that allows other people to exercise faith unto redemption," in the proffered polemic.

      Delete
    3. And I pay careful attention to both where the footnotes are, and where they are not. I find the pattern interesting.

      Delete
    4. Log, thanks for pointing out the lack of footnoting at that argument. I wasn't trying to make an argument by assertion. I think I support the claim better when I repeat it on page 35, were I quote Joseph Smith's letter from Liberty jail ("Thy mind, o man...etc"). That's the principle I had in mind, anyway.

      Delete
  4. Hey, wait. You didn't answer my question.

    ReplyDelete