Thursday, June 4, 2015

Burned at the Stake

Yesterday Rock Waterman was excommunicated from the LDS Church. I imagine his disciplinary council was similar to mine. (I urged him to conduct himself with greater aplomb, decorum and good humor than I did; I'm sure he obliged.) Rock, of course, was better prepared for this formality than I was, he having written the book! His pre-excommunication interview with John Dehlin was illustrative of the kind of "evil doer" the LDS Church is now shoving out the door.

As William N. Grigg presciently observed:

Of course, the only One who actually has authority, and the right to use it, spent his mortal ministry inviting people to come to Him, rather than seeking for excuses to cast them out. That contrast is instructive and offers a very useful way of determining whether any individual or institution actually speaks on His behalf.
One of the signs of a true prophet is that he urges others to follow Christ and not demand that any follow him.

But...what do we see...in the LDS Church...today? (If you choose unrighteously, you will have no cloak for your sins.) Can any of these men save you? Who is your Savior? Do you know Him? Does He know you? (See Abraham 3:11; Moses 7:4; Ether 12:39.) 


By common consent, expressed and implied, the men who excommunicated me assented to the claim (made by one of them) that Jesus was not their personal savior

I believe them.

Unfortunately (for them), I also believe Jesus, who said:
"But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 10:33.)
I'm confident the men who excommunicated Rock did so without much regard for actual history or doctrinal truth. If they followed current LDS "protocol" (as they did in my case), they violated or ignored several scriptural mandates at virtually every turn. Only a fool (or the grossly misinformed) would suppose they were doing the Lord's business when they cast Rock out.

Or maybe not. Maybe I'm the fool. 


You see, a young lady I know was recently thrown from a moving vehicle which had swerved violently out of control. She was tossed clear of the wreckage that otherwise would have crushed her if she had remained "safely" strapped in her seat. 


As it happened, she hardly suffered a scratch!

The Lord has a peculiar way of "gathering" His sheep:


He calls them to Himself. 


He calls them


They must hear His voice.


And respond. 


And follow Him.

Prior to Rock's "verdict", Log presciently explicated the outcome. My post "A pasta, see?" demonstrates how the LDS Church embraces (and enforces) a Babylonian "corporatism": with "higher ups" acting as "employers" and "lower downs" assuming "employee" status. This structure diverges from God's desired "organizational pancake", whereby communication and interaction with Him is meant to be direct and personal.


Quite a few LDS leaders now apparently feel empowered with sufficient authority to condemn and curse others, spiritually damning them and blowing their families (like Rock Waterman's) to smithereens. (Would someone please point out to me what Rock taught that was so damn -- and damningly -- false?) These characters in charge remind me of the Milgram experiment, where otherwise good people were induced by authority figures to deliver -- what most certainly would be, if they were real -- lethal doses of electricity to mere volunteers just to teach them a lesson!

(Isn't that what these people think they are doing: teaching us a lesson?)

Anyone who excommunicates another without receiving explicit, direct communication from Heaven does so at their peril (for they are doing the exact opposite of what Jesus otherwise commanded).


As we judge, so shall we be judged. 


Who among us claims to be "sent" by God to deliver an actual "message" to anyone? (I can think of one; think of him what you will.) But no doubt many are now being tested and raised up to proclaim the truth as they understand it.


I applaud Rock for his faithfulness to both his faith and conscience. He reminds me of another courageous and mighty man:

9 Now Abinadi said unto [king Noah]: I say unto you, I will not recall the words which I have spoken unto you concerning this people, for they are true; and that ye may know of their surety I have suffered myself that I have fallen into your hands.
10 Yea, and I will suffer even until death, and I will not recall my words, and they shall stand as a testimony against you. And if ye slay me ye will shed innocent blood, and this shall also stand as a testimony against you at the last day.
Amen.


3 comments:

  1. I like how a new member of the Church is sustained as a member by the people, but when it comes to excommunication, the member being trialled is not sustained by the people to be excommunicated. It's entirely left to the few men sitting in the court room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the Russian Orthodox word "prelest", a word without a good English equivalent. It gets close to "spiritual conceit", but not quite. According to St. Pavel Florensky, described by Solzhenitsyn as the most memorable character in the history of the Soviet gulags, "An ordinary sinner knows he is falling away from God; [whereas] a soul in prelest thinks it is drawing ever closer to Him, and while angering Him thinks he is gladdening Him." In the Russian translation of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings the word for Gollum's 'precious' (the ultimate ring of power) is translated as 'Prelest'!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! Thank you for commenting here.

      Delete