Sunday, June 8, 2014

Trusting in the arm of flesh

Placing one's faith in men (rather than in God) is a very dangerous proposition. The brother who spoke in our Sacrament Meeting today warned that only the Lord Jesus Christ is worthy of our faith and trust. That brother spoke the truth. 

Men can, have and will fail us. Men are not to be trusted. Priesthood leaders cannot save us spiritually. (They can show us the way. They can set the example. But they cannot take us to heaven. We must acquire our own "oil" to see the Bridegroom for ourselves.) We are commanded not to trust in the arm of flesh. Nephi was explicit: "Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm." (2 Nephi 4:34.) It is not the man who speaks, but the Spirit of God that speaks through the man, that gives any man divine authority or witness. (Doctrine and Covenants 68:4; 1:38-39.)

Ecclesiastical position alone connotes very little. Ecclesiastical position alone guarantees nothing. We don't follow a man or men simply because they have "a little authority, as they suppose". God warned us that it is the nature and disposition of nearly all men -- even Church leaders! -- to exercise "unrighteous dominion". (Doctrine and Covenants 121:39.) Consequently, we serve only the Lord.

If you don't understand that, you are doomed. 

This is why priesthood leaders are very limited in what they can do, and how they do it, in righteousness. (Doctrine and Covenants 121:41-44.)

We are not called to "follow a prophet". (You won't find that phrase anywhere in scripture.) We are called to follow and serve the Lord only. (Matthew 4:10.) That phrase is found everywhere in scripture.

Note that when one follows the commandments God gives through a prophet, that person is said -- not to "follow the prophet" but -- to follow the Lord. (Joshua 14:8-92 Kings 18:5-6.) The prophet himself is irrelevant. He gets out of the way. He strives not to be part of the picture. (Numbers 11:27-29.) Moses wasn't kidding when he said "Now, for this cause I know that man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed" (Moses 1:10). As one who grew up in Pharaoh's court, conditioned to respect and revere man and his power and authority, Moses acquired true understanding by revelation. Perhaps the Latter-day Saints, conditioned as they are to "follow the Brethren", require similar enlightenment?

Whether the prophet is a former slave and man-slayer (like Moses), a former Pharisee and persecutor of Christians (like Paul) or a former apostate and reprobate (like Alma...take your pick), the identity and character, status or "qualifications" of a prophet are only incidental to the message, never central to it. "Man is nothing" (regardless of his virtues, vices or callings) in comparison to God and His Word.

Prophets have been known to deceive and fail. Prophets have been known to falter and fall. Our own LDS history is replete with "brethren" and "general authorities" who have lied, apostatized, denounced the faith, falsely prophesied, betrayed their office, etc. Even presidents of the modern Quorum of the Twelve have stumbled and gone astray. Are these men to be trusted? If they weren't worthy to be trusted then, why now?

Only a fool would trust his salvation to a proven failure, such as man is.

Only the damned put their trust in men, even prophets, to save them. (Doctrine and Covenants 76:98-103). Why? Because only the Lord can save. We are commanded to follow the Lord only. (1 Samuel 12:24; Moses 1:15; Ether 2:8.)

The Lord's apostles were not enamored with Jesus' appearance (He was nothing to look at), His charismatic persona (He was meek and mild), His wealth (He was broke) or even His "authority" (He claimed no worldly status or station). Jesus was an outcast from the Church, a peasant, a failure in the eyes of the world, with nowhere to call His own or to lay His head. Just before He was excommunicated, His supposed "spiritual leader", who called himself a "judge in Israel", probably said to Him: "You know, Jesus, it's really too bad. You could have been something...."

The apostles were not attracted to the trappings of Jesus' office or station (in this world at least), though they were enamored to (and coveted) His power. They  were convinced and convicted, rather, by His words. When Jesus asked Peter if he would abandon Him also, Peter appealed -- not to Jesus' power or His authority -- but to HIs message when he said: "Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life" (John 6:68). It is the words -- not the man, nor his calling or position -- that define the authenticity of any message or messenger. True messengers convey their message by the power of the Holy Ghost. It is the Holy Ghost that is to be recognized, trusted and heeded, not mere men. (Moroni 10:5; Doctrine and Covenants 45:57.)

Just as we should not trust in any man, we ought not trust in any works of man for our salvation. Terribly misguided souls believe that ordinances alone, or great and marvelous works, will save anyone. To those who do not come unto Christ, however, He will say, "Depart from me, ye that work iniquity. I never knew you." (See Matthew 7:23.)

God has no need of burnt offerings, washings and anointings, temple ceremonies or sacraments. The rites and rituals of men are mere symbols pointing the way to Christ. Those who think the symbols themselves can save are fools. Those who think they have "arrived" or "received" because they have participated in "play acting" beguile themselves. 

There is no substitute for coming unto Christ. Only those who endure (continue, persist) until the end -- until they are at rest in the arms of Jesus -- will be saved.

8 comments:

  1. Good Will, have you found rest in the arms of Jesus? (I'm sorry, I have not read your whole blog, probably just a few months this year, so feel free to enlighten me with a link). I seek Him still, but have been thoroughly encouraged by heaven in the path of awakening and arising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I am "thoroughly encouraged by heaven in the path of awakening and arising". If the strait and narrow path were relatively easy to find and enter into, the Lord would not have said "few that be that find it" (or go in thereat).

      For every expression and act of faith, there can be found reason to doubt. Even after one has done all to be received (which I haven't...has anyone?), one must trust in God's timetable. If He chooses to receive me, it will be on His timetable, not mine.

      I still wrestle with anger issues, disappointments, pride, selfishness, lack of charity. My cup of "things to work on" literally overfloweth. Not that I would need to be perfect before He acknowledges and receives me. Paul said that through his weaknesses, God (and His strengths) were glorified...because no one (who knew him) would suppose Paul were the source of any power or virtue. All the glory was God's.

      No. I wait. And work. And pray. And strive to do right by my wife and children. And to forgive others their trespasses. And to make sense of that mixture of wheat and tares that is the LDS Church. And to mourn the loss of all that I loved in her...and to suffer the shame of those who would mock and point the finger from that great and spacious building.

      My only consolation is the fruit. I cannot deny the fruit. And of that, I can testify, I have truly tasted and received.

      Delete
  2. Btw, I am so sorry about your excommunication. My the Lord bless you and your family. I am dumbfounded and ashamed at our church for such misjudgment and unrighteous dominion. Good thing there is a Righteous Judge who will make all things right. Was your "decision" handed down from church headquarters, and inspired by the Strengthening Church Members Committee, as was Denver Snuffer's, contrary to their recent News Release about Church Discipline?
    http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-responds-to-church-discipline-questions

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know who instigated my excommunication. I found the following News Room quotes disturbingly out of sink with my experience: (1) "local leaders have the responsibility to clarify false teachings and prevent other members from being misled" and (2) "Actions to address a person’s membership and standing in their congregation are convened after lengthy periods of counseling and encouragement to reconsider behavior."

    My stake president met with me once prior to convening my disciplinary hearing. So the "lengthy period of counseling and encouragement" is undoubtedly extensive! My bishop did meet with me three times over several months. Each time he accused me of "bordering on apostasy". But when I asked him to clarify how or when, he wouldn't! Simply agreeing with Denver Snuffer (labeled an "apostate") qualified me apparently. And what did Denver teach? That God was telling the truth when He spoke D&C 124:28? Is believing the scriptures the new definition of "apostasy"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pattern I've observed is that publicly stating beliefs or opinions which are contrary to the current church teachings/traditions/narratives (from now on I'll just say teachings for brevity) constitutes their present definition of apostasy which they will prosecute. This may even extend to merely questioning or expressing doubts about particular current church teachings, again, in public. The hot-buttons seem to be those teachings which establish priesthood authority, keys, etc.

    So, for example, I think they pretty much left Denver alone until he published Passing the Heavenly Gift, which presents an unorthodox, non-traditional, and apparently totally unacceptable view of church history, particularly in relation to the Nauvoo Temple's incompletion, the fulness of the priesthood thus not being restored, the saints being moved out of their place, the succession crisis which resulted in Brigham Young leading the saints and then becoming the new President a few years later, as well as the attendant passing of the priesthood keys, what keys were passed, etc. His proposing that we lost something at the deaths of Joseph and Hyrum, and that that loss perpetuates to the present day, was not tolerated. From his blog it sounds like the leaders offered him the olive leaf of withdrawing it from publication, which he refused. My understanding is that Denver would not violate his publishing contract, refused to be thought-policed, and was even commanded of the Lord to write PTHG. In any case, he refused to meet their demands and it cost him his membership.

    So I think most of these ideas and beliefs can be held privately, but not publicly (including blogging) without being prosecuted for apostasy. I wish the church tolerated differences in belief when it came to church history, particularly stuff that is not KNOWN but rather believed and passed down, but right now it just does not. I don’t like it. I’m not sure what to do about it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was as concise and accurate a summation of the circumstances as I have read anywhere. Thank you. You have greatly improved my blog by sharing your analysis. (I wish I could have described the matter so perspicaciously myself!) Sadly, I am not sure what to do about it either.

      Several factors influenced my actions.

      The first was the light of knowledge Denver Snuffer, Daymon Smith, Rock Waterman, Tim Malone and others shared with me. They awakened me to (and reconnected me with) a former love with which I had become estranged. I had forgotten what it felt like to be inspired, to learn something new, to receive and value the truth. In a way, it made me feel like a convert again.

      I was apprised also of my awful situation: I had not yet come unto Christ. Oh, sure, I had significant experiences with Him. But I had not yet been received. My calling and election were not sure, to me at least. (And if it wasn't sure to me, how sure could it be?!) Denver Snuffer's testimony (and reassurance) that "more is required" than simply going to Church, receiving the ordinances, etc., resonated with me. I knew he spoke the truth.

      What galled me -- and prodded me to continue -- was the Church leadership's apathy about such things. They didn't want to know the truth -- and refused to even acknowledge it -- if the truth upset their "kingdom". What is true is of secondary importance to them. What impact the truth has is of primary importance to them.

      You'll note that the pharisees of Christ's day had a similar regard for the truth. They examined Jesus' teachings not by the standard of whether what He said was true, but by what effect His teachings would have on their station and standing. Would they gain or lose power? Would their esteem be elevated or abased in the eyes of the people? Amulek faced similar opposition: he was accused of speaking against their lawyers and their judges (see Alma 10:29).

      Nephi, son of Nephi, grandson of Helaman, faced a similar plight in the Church.

      3 Nephi 6:20-21:
      "20 And there began to be men inspired from heaven and sent forth, standing among the people in all the land, preaching and testifying boldly of the sins and iniquities of the people, and testifying unto them concerning the redemption which the Lord would make for his people, or in other words, the resurrection of Christ; and they did testify boldly of his death and sufferings.

      21 Now there were many of the people who were exceedingly angry because of those who testified of these things; and those who were angry were chiefly the chief judges, and they who had been high priests and lawyers; yea, all those who were lawyers were angry with those who testified of these things."

      Denver Snuffer, above all, by writing The Second Comforter: Conversing with the Lord Through the Veil wrote of "the redemption which the Lord would make for his people, or in other words, the resurrection of Christ". And in another book, Come, Let Us Adore Him, he "boldly [testified] of his death and sufferings".

      More than anything else, it was the ignorance and stubbornness and intransigence, anger and opposition of those who claimed to be "high priests" of Jesus Christ that convinced me Denver Snuffer's arguments were truthful. When the high priests at my excommunication testified that Jesus does not save us personally and that Jesus and the Father do not appear to those who have been saved, I knew that they were "false priests who oppress" and I knew that the God of heaven had shown me the way. These men, if they do not repent, will go down to hell.

      And I will not follow them.

      Delete
  5. Will, I’m Geoff from the “Arguments Against Denver Snuffer” thread on Tim Malone’s Latter-Day Commentary blog. We met there. Hello again and I’m so sorry to hear about your excommunication. It broke my heart and I wept as I read several entries in your blog. I would love to correspond with you and keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me, too! So great to hear from you! Please email me at wtcarter2@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete