Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Vain imagination

The recent immolation of a Jordanian fighter pilot by ISIS [warning: extremely graphic video here, beginning at 17:30] brought to mind the horrific torture of others, some delivered from the flames (Melchizedek, Daniel’s faithful compatriots) and some delivered to them (Abinadi, Alma and Amulek’s converts in Ammonihah). Contemplating their sufferings and those of our Lord, I sometimes imagine I would endure just as valiantly, with the same noble stoicism and resolve, bearing it patiently. As a prisoner of war, I would greet my abusive, flesh-tearing, joint-dislocating, bone-cracking captors with courtesy and without malice, cheerfully receiving my half-cup ration of rat-fouled rice, “seasoned” with dirt and the occasional maggot, with gratitude and good nature, remembering I am bound for a better world. I would awaken from tortured half-consciousness, naked, sore-covered and cramped, on the cold cement floor of my dark, dank cell or emerge from the tattered cardboard box I called “home” and not long with jealousy or covetousness for the mansions, pleasures and possessions of those having so much more. Nay, I would be like Jesus, without a care in the world, even though He had not wherewith to lay His head.

But experiences like those of last night convince me I would do nothing of the sort and be nothing of the kind.

Yesterday was nearly a “perfect” day for me. It was the best of circumstances. As is our wont, my family had prayer and scripture study before dawn. We were primed with the latest teachings of “Log”, who reminded us to practice The Golden Rule and be The Perfect Servant, giving everyone (within our power to do so) what they ask for, without sin. (What may not work in this world can work within families -- the only institution to extend and endure beyond this realm.) We were blessed throughout the day as each of us, remarkably, made the effort to be more like Jesus. 

After my wife and I knelt at bedtime, offering our prayers to heaven, I kissed her goodnight and readied myself for bed. 

Then all hell broke lose.

I discovered my toothbrush was wet!

Flashback: My wife has repeatedly allowed our one-year-old to play in the toilet with my toothbrush! I’ve asked her, repeatedly, to stop it! I’ve argued my case. I’ve even gone bat-ejectus crazy, just to make the point. I’ve demanded: “Don’t EVER let ANYONE use my toothbrush! Not even you! Is that clear?”

“Clear,” I was reassured.

In a house full of kids and chaos, the bathroom is the one place — the only place — I can have any reasonable expectation of privacy. Is it asking too much to be able to take a shower without a parade of people marching through the lavatory to brush (or straighten or curl) their hair, to tell something to mom, or just to “hang out”? Is it asking too much that my bathroom drawers not be rifled through? That my “private” things not be pillaged, pilfered, and molested?

Every time I grab my toothbrush and find it already wet, I ask myself “Who has been using this?! Where has it been?!”

It makes me sick. Sometimes, literally. I’ve gone to great lengths to get a new tooth brush (or boil the old one!) just to make sure it’s “clean” — offering concomitant remonstrations to the “offending” parties and getting reassurances from them that “it will NEVER happen again”. 

But it always does.

As it did last night.

And I threw another fit!

I won’t tell you what I said. I’m too ashamed to reveal it. It was unbecoming of any man wishing to practice The Golden Rule or be The Perfect Servant. With a plethora of relatively mild, but utterly scornful epithets, I got dressed, marched down to the local Walmart, bought four new toothbrushes, labeled each with a Sharpie marker — two for me and two for my wife — and, when I saw her, I laid into her again. (She had actually texted me a sweet apology while I was out, but because my phone had been silenced — we having gone to a movie that evening — I didn’t “get” her text until this morning.) We ultimately spent the night apart.

We came “to terms” this morning. I somewhat more calmly made my case. I gave her all the same reasons I wanted my stuff left alone, but added this threat: “If this ever happens again, I will take one of your toothbrushes -- every day -- and wipe my [nether regions] with it. Then I’ll wet all your toothbrushes so you’ll never know which one I used and you will always be guessing. Then maybe you’ll understand why I don’t want my toothbrush used by others and you’ll put a stop to it!”

I got her to pledge (once again) to keep her hands off my toothbrush and to not let our kids play with it.

But I didn't feel loving and I didn't feel she loved me anymore.

Thus ended "the perfect day".

Circumstances last night caused me to think about divorce for the first time. “Am I really going to let this relationship potentially dissolve over a toothbrush? Isn’t she bone of my bone? Flesh of my flesh? Haven’t we shared everything together? Are we not yet 'one'? How, then, can I let myself get so upset over this?” [Just imagine that dirty toilet bowl and my young daughter happily scrubbing away with gusto!]

I would not do so well in a prisoner-of-war camp. I would not suffer injustice and unkindness meekly. I would not go “as a lamb to the slaughter” nor would I be serene and stoic and noble as Jesus was. 

I would probably fight like hell.

Or perhaps I would be a basket case of self-pity, self-justification, self-righteousness and self-absorption. 

Or I would be a ranting, raving lunatic.

Or all of the above

Either way, when I imagine I would be otherwise, I’m just kidding myself. It didn't take a whip, a rack or a cage doused in gasoline to prove my weakness.

A simple toothbrush proved I have a long, long way yet to go.

10 comments:

  1. The long way to go is through mighty prayer unto the remission of your sins, Will. You can't get to where you need to be by your own power. But you will undoubtedly have the opportunity again to pass the test you failed last night.

    21 Ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, and it is also written before you, that thou shalt not kill, and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment of God;

    22 But I say unto you, that whosoever is angry with his brother shall be in danger of his judgment. And whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council; and whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

    23 Therefore, if ye shall come unto me, or shall desire to come unto me, and rememberest that thy brother hath aught against thee—

    24 Go thy way unto thy brother, and first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come unto me with full purpose of heart, and I will receive you.


    Be reconciled to them - not to conform them to your will, and thus find them acceptable and therefore in your good graces, but you to them, whatever the cost they require of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because it is a state change you are seeking. Abinadi, for example, had no fear of the flames; not that he didn't feel the pain, but his reaction was different - it had no power over him.

    And you are powerless to bring about that state change. Therefore, if you desire it, ask for it with all the fervor of heart, no matter the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will..... excuse me while I stop laughing.

    Isn't there an old saying that goes something like this: "What you resist, persists." Thank you, I see myself in the refection of your descriptive narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetie, this isn't rocket science. Your wife is not your personal possessions guard and she is not giving your toothbrush to the baby. If having a dry clean toothbrush is important to you, then you put your toothbrush where the baby can't reach it. Jeez....
    Lena Hansen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could put your toothbrush in your underwear drawer. Most children are not interested in their parents' underwear.

      I can testify that it IS possible to overcome a temper, but you've got to really want to, and beg God with many tears - sometimes for decades. I am still afraid of my own temper, even though it appears to be gone.

      Delete
  5. The biggest help for me was to lose expectations. Don't expect others to act the way you want them to. When you are not emotionally invested in certain expectations and behavior, a lot of rage goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could also buy a distinctive toothbrush for your toddler (so it won't get mixed up with anyone else's toothbrush) and tell her that it is her very own brush for cleaning toilets. After all, the child means well, and it is difficult to keep an eye on a toddler every minute, even if it is the only child a woman has. (I feel sorry for your wife. Hugs and love to her.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LJn,

      Thank you for your suggestions. My wife certainly has her hands full. Our children are not "passive". They get into everything. I have hidden my "stuff" on the highest shelf of my closet. (They have found it!) I have purchased multiple items. (They have used -- and lost! -- all of them!) I have "forbidden" everyone from using -- or even touching -- my sink! (But "What daddy can't see, daddy can't know, right?")

      Surprisingly (infuriatingly!) the worst "perpetrator" hasn't always been one of my children!

      But this is only one of my "issues". I am passionate about many things. I get emotionally involved with regard to most things with which I involve myself: the LDS Church, my work (as a teacher), my children, etc. I strive to live by faith, to hope, to press forward and -- when my "dreams" or "expectations" or "visions" are not realized or fall short -- sometimes I am crushed and get angry.

      I can't force people to do right. I can't compel students to study. I can't dictate that the LDS Church (or my family or my country) be a certain way. I can only change myself. And I'm working on it.

      I guess what troubles me is the "disconnect" that seems to be required in order to not get so emotionally "wound up" when people (things, circumstances, etc.) fall short. It seems almost wrong of me to expect that most people (things, circumstances, etc.) will fail, break, be a waste of time, etc. I am an impatient man, by nature, and in my youth I regarded "having patience" not as a virtue, but a vice: the "excuse" of lazy men unwilling to "get 'er done".

      I now see how wrong I was.

      Still, I am sorry that I have to constantly be telling myself, apparently: "They aren't going to get it. They aren't going to learn this time. They are going to disbelieve (misunderstand, do the 'wrong' thing anyway, etc.)."

      As "Log" has written: "The secret to having authority is to wield none." As a father, I have (vainly) imagined that I had (or was supposed to have) "authority" to "preside" in my home. As a teacher I work in an inherently compulsive, coercive environment (mandatory attendance, rules, tests, etc.), yet no one can be compelled to learn, no matter how ardently one proposes to teach! (Abinadi couldn't make anyone "comply" with the truth. He could only state it (demonstrate it, live it) and let others choose what to do about it.)

      I get angry when I see others repeatedly, unwisely choose to do wrong, or disregard what is right.

      I guess I share Nephi's lament. (See 2 Nephi 32:7). And like him, I anger because of my "enemies". (See 2 Nephi 4:29.)

      Nevertheless, I know I am no better than those who reject the truth -- for in my blindness, I still "reject" it. It is "evil" of me to anger regarding any man or thing. God, in His wisdom, has given me what I have -- and what I don't have. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

      Those who yet have power (or authority) over me wouldn't have it if the Lord hadn't given it to them (or allowed it). I would best use my time learning how to submit and be submissive, not telling others what or how to do. I can only do myself...and make recommendations...to speak softly...and carry a big feather!

      Delete
  7. Will, I admire your courage in opening yourself up so publicly. Most would not dare do so. I found your reply poignant.

    You said, "Still, I am sorry that I have to constantly be telling myself, apparently "They aren't going to get it. They aren't going to learn this time. They are going to disbelieve (misunderstand, do the 'wrong' thing anyway, etc.)."

    That is a mistaken thought process. A more effective one would be, 'I let you go. I give you to God. I respect your right to choose even if it hurts me, even if it hurts you. I allow God to be the one who teaches you what you refuse to learn from me." Those are examples of what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew my kids had grown when I was able to take a bath or shower without interruptions. That day will come! You know, go to the dollar store and you can get a pack of four decent toothbrushes for a dollar. So, if it gets wet, no problem. You've lost a quarter. Deal with your situations if you can't change them. The kids will grow up! However, I did have to laugh reading your post!

    ReplyDelete