Friday, December 18, 2015

My confession

I felt prompted yesterday to make a public "confession" of my current understanding and testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ and His workings among men. I marveled at how difficult it has been for me to "divest" myself of the "programming" that is all things "Mormon." (It's a very nice, supportive religion to belong to and follow...so long as you're not gay, black, female, the second (or 27th!) "plural wife" of some Mormon honcho, unmarried, divorced, childless, addicted to anything but ice cream or BYU football, unattractive, socially inept or disconnected, not descended from pioneer stock, or particularly fond of "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." (Check back regularly; this list is constantly changing!) There are more skeletons in Mormon closets (and archives) than at Disney's Haunted Mansion! And much heartbreak. No one can "measure up" to the phantasmagoria of "righteousness" that is modern Mormonism. NO ONE. ALL of Mormonism's false gods and goddesses inevitably falter and fail, trusting, as they do, in the arm of flesh.

But then an old friend (whom I've mentioned here before) reached out to me this morning, inviting me back to the fold, with this text message:

3 Nephi 17:5-22; I think of you often brother I pray and hope that you will carry your cross and work your way back and join God's true church- else how will the gathering of Israel be without the stakes of Zion! I miss and think of your family brother!
I miss and think of his family, too, and wonder what will become of all of us. I am still working out my salvation with fear and trembling. So who am I to "lecture" another? What more can I do for myself, my wife and our children? I trust God hears...and will answer me when I am prepared to receive Him.

I replied:

Carry my cross? Work my way "back"? Join God's true church? How will God gather Israel without stakes of Zion?
...I strive to carry my cross daily. I'm striving to return to the Father. (Have you?) I already belong to the Lord's true church. (D&C 10:67-68.) God is gathering Israel, with or without the Mormons. The Zion you speak of will burn up all those (at the Lord's return) who are unprepared, who join with the wicked in their pollutions, perversions and abominations.

I'm grateful that you think of me often with sincere desire to help me and my family -- even if you "de-friend" me on FB and support the organization which (in Christ's name!) casts me out, banishes me from among you and seeks to separate me from my family each and every day! That is, indeed, a heavy cross to bear.... Too bad you're adding to it.
You will not read the books or heed the testimonies which explain in detail how -- as in almost all other previous dispensations (including our Savior's, initiated in the meridian of time in both the Old and New Worlds) -- the devil "hijacked" the latest iteration of "restoration," perverting the gospel and destroying Joseph and Hyrum, its first (and last) prophets.

Consequently you are as the Jews of Christ's day, thinking yourself "saved," "chosen," and "seeing," while you are lost, rejected and blind. (That being said, the Lord is merciful and patient with ALL of us. He is pruning His vineyard as He sees fit and He dispenses light and knowledge to ANYONE who knocks, asks and seeks, with real intent, having faith in CHRIST -- not faith in some organization, "priesthood power," temple ordinances, or the arm of flesh. All these may become idolatry and false worship.)

Those who "succeeded" Joseph and Hyrum (as "leaders" of the nascent LDS faith, but not as true prophets, having not first obtained their errand from the Lord) were punished for their unfaithfulness and were driven into the wilderness, scattered and slain, having neglected to fulfill the Lord's commandments after having disregarded the New Covenant of the Book of Mormon. (That holy book FORBADE the practice of polygamy after the manner of David and Solomon...which is PRECISELY what Brigham Young and others did after Joseph's demise. Joseph VEHEMENTLY, PUBLICLY and UNIVERSALLY CONDEMNED POLYGAMY (in the carnal sense) ALL HIS DAYS!) Those same leaders who embraced and practiced polygamy then extensively LIED about it -- both to the world and to each other -- making a "virtue" of "lying for the Lord." This you call "the gospel of Jesus Christ" and this organization you call "the Lord's true church." You are deceived by lies....

Joseph Smith never denied ordination of the priesthood to ANYONE on the basis of race or skin color. That was Brigham Young's doing. You claim LDS prophets can't lead us astray. The Mormon Church has since REPUDIATED racial discrimination in ALL its forms and has admitted that Brigham Young and others were not authorized or inspired by revelation from God in denying the priesthood to blacks. What do you call THIS if not "leading the church astray"? Holy moly...!
The original temple ordinances were designed to turn the hearts of the children back to the fathers -- to connect the saints with the powers of heaven (the "saved" sons and daughters of God: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, etc.). Thus Joseph sealed men and women to himself -- he being among the truly "saved" -- for he was sealed to Christ (and to others in heaven)! Brigham Young changed this ordinance (not understanding it), sealing the living to kindred dead (even though those dead knew not God nor were "saved" in any sense).

What good does it do to "seal" oneself to the damned, if neither you nor they have the power or knowledge to save ANYONE? Have you been saved? Have you come back into the presence of the Father? Or made your calling and election sure? Do you have the promise, from God Himself, of eternal life? And can YOU promise to ANYONE that, come hell or high water, YOU will save THEM? No? Then what good are your "sealings" if they are not sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise (and thus rendered immutable, sure and everlasting)? 
Your temple rites...like ALL your ordinances, are "play acting," substituting for the real thing, UNTIL the real thing is received. You are PRACTICING, petitioning, pleading, and praying...doing ALL YOU CAN until the Lord does HIS part. But in the absence of that part (the LORD'S part), your works will avail you NOTHING. 
Frankly, there is nothing in the Mormon Church to "work my way back" to. You have a nice social club...that persecutes me. Some incentive to return!

10 comments:

  1. Wilford Woodford changed sealing to its present worthlessness...let's give negative credit where it is due.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do tell- what did Willford Woodruff do to change the sealing ordinances?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I'd like to know, too, Anonymous!

      Delete
    3. Perhaps the truth is found here:

      http://puremormonism.blogspot.com/2013/04/wilford-woodruffs-pants-are-on-fire.html

      Delete
  2. Will,
    Nicely said. There are save 2 churches only, the church of the Lamb of God and the church of the devil. And that is it! So saith the Angel!
    Does anyone with a particle of common sense believe that a church that manipulates, compels, deceives, obfuscates, and otherwise LIES is the church of the Lamb of God?
    Nice social club perhaps...as long as you make the grade physically and financially.
    Jamees Russell Uhl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looking at links to various blogs and websites of people exed for being too "Mormon", (Rock's, Will Carter's-this one, Denver's, the 77truth guy, etc.) it occurred to me that one of the temptations or evils of contention (whether by "TBM's" defending the faith, "Remnants" defending their understanding of problems in the institutional church, atheists/agnostics defending their own perceptions, or any other kind or source of contention) is it appeals to our pride.

    Yea, I'm putting this comment on a few of these blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, PNW_DPer, contention DOES appeal to pride. As Paul warned, "Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth." (1 Cor. 8:1.)

      I admire those -- like Denver Snuffer, Bret Corbridge, Tim Malone, and (with few exceptions) Rock Waterman -- all of whom I consider friends, who share their gift of knowledge with us without coming across (to me, at least) as arrogant, mean-spirited, insulting, or proud. These men (in my opinion) demonstrate true charity.

      But we are ALL feeble, frail and failing, to some degree, I more than all, I imagine.

      I shared this post because I struggle. I love the gospel, and have faith that God will invite me to share with Him a glorious future, but I still hurt. My family is dying, being slowly "suffocated"spiritually by the false "spirit" that is Mormonism. My family goes to church, but they are NOT being fed. (Many of you have experienced this for yourselves.) My wife and children do not return home from Church each Sunday expressing their love for Jesus. I don't wonder why. (I remember hearing a revered Mormon apostle in my youth preaching AGAINST seeking to have a "personal relationship" with Christ! This "apostolic" advice was given during that same time George Pace was being persecuted by the LDS Church for writing a book claiming that Jesus had ministered unto him personally. At the time I thougtht "What the heck! I LOVE George Pace!" I was inspired by his book! He was my stake president! But he was denigrated by the Church and quietly forced into retirement as a teacher at BYU (as I recall). At least one of his children lost his faith because of that (if I'm not mistaken).

      Now my children suffer. I take my daughter to seminary every school day, but they do not teach her there what is ESSENTIAL for salvation. Instead she is taught many things, including "all is well in Zion if you follow the Brethren" and "follow the prophet"!

      Except all is NOT well in Zion and we should follow CHRIST! Were it not for what I tell my children at home, they would be oblivious to the current state of apostasy of the LDS Church. (My daughter still doesn't believe it...because she doesn't understand it or see it...so ill-informed are Latter-day Saints who know only what they are told at church.)

      Those who would not go up to Mt. Sinai themselves think it is proper and appropriate for "Moses" (TSM, in this case, for now) to do it for them. Never mind that God CURSED the Israelites for refusing to come up to meet with Him personally, causing them to wander aimlessly in the desert for 40 years, following a prophet, until they DIED, never entering the Promised Land.

      And never mind that TSM has NEVER claimed to meet God personally. Still, the LDS will follow him! (And so would I have if they had not kicked me out! How ironic is that?!)

      If you're going to follow a prophet, you better BE DAMN SURE he IS a prophet or you will BE DAMNED for SURE!)

      Delete
    2. The Mormon Church is a great "religion," as religions go. (The best I know of.) If I cared more about "religion" than I do about following Jesus, I would have done what it takes to "follow the Brethren" and stay in the Mormon Church. Thus I would have been allowed (as I will NOT be allowed today) to go to LDS services with my family to hear my wife and daughter sing in the Christmas choir, and with them worship God and celebrate Jesus' birth. (What my wife and children have in Mormonism is A LOT BETTER than what the world offers by comparison...so I still encourage them in go, even WITHOUT me...even though their activity in the Mormon Church conflicts and often interferes with my own "ministry" to them, in many respects. In fact, the Church tacitly, if not actively, undermines my marriage.)

      What do I have to offer, by comparison? I'm nothing. A broken cistern, at best. You'll find no "celestial example" here -- only snippets of light and glory, a testimony and witness or two, all mixed together and shrouded by clouds of filth and dust. Not much good to anyone, I'm afraid. A "false" or "fallen" prophet, some would say. A "failed Latter-day Saint," others would say.

      I'd just say I'm someone who loves Jesus and strives to follow Him (however imperfectly).

      Still, it hurts. All the knowledge I possess doesn't lessen the sting...because I see my wife and children DYING, slowly suffocating spiritually...and NO ONE in the Mormon Church (that I know of) is able to bring them to Christ.

      Not even me, apparently. (That is my saddest confession.)

      Delete
  4. I appreciate your honesty, Will. My LDS family has written me off as "deceived by Satan" because I awoke one day to the sad state of the church by a revelation that hit me like a ton of bricks out of the blue one Sunday after teaching the EQ lesson.

    What a thing it is that I — who have lived a much less valiant life than anyone in my family — was the one who had this knowledge given to me first by the Holy Ghost, then confirmed through further study. What a thing it is that when I try to teach my brother and mother, they cannot see past how much worse a life I have lived than them. They cannot see past how unworthy they know I am. What a thing it is that I, of all people, am the one trying to convince those around me to wake up to our awful state and actually believe the words of the Book of Mormon!

    I'm afraid they let who I am get in the way of listening.

    Luckily for me, my wife at least kind of believes me. But the family I grew up with think I'm either crazy or evil for having a received a revelation I cannot deny. They've even compared me to Korihor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny (in an ironic sort of way), so like the Lord!

      We understand (and readily accept) Paul. He was zealous for God (but in the wrong direction). Can't fault his earnestness, though. God used his zeal for righteousness in a great way.

      We definitely "get" Alma the younger. This guy fought AGAINST the church and was VERY wicked...but then he saw an angel...and, with this new understanding, spent the rest of his life HEALING and BUILDING what he had broken and torn down.

      How about the 300 who came to kill Nephi and Lehi? Those are among the strangest of all! Why were THEY so gifted? There were DISSIDENTS among them: apostates, the violent, carnal and proud. How were THEY so privileged to behold the light and commune with heaven? What did Nephi and Lehi DO...how did they exercise such FAITH...to allow THAT to happen???! (I mean, Alma the younger and those 300 would-be murderers were going to die anyway...they were in the GALL of bitterness and RIPE for destruction. So God threw down the greatest "manure," the most damning knowledge and evidence. This was "celestial chemotherapy" at its best: "If this doesn't KILL them, it will HEAL them! (But they're "dead" anyway...there's no coming back from whom they are now...unless THIS works.) They're sworn enemies of light and truth now. So...why not?" perhaps? I mean, Jesus said, "I'll take you hot or cold, but luke warm? No way! I'll spew you out of my mouth!"

      All these guys above were HOT or COLD. Where do WE fall? Where do WE need to be?

      The GREAT sinner or the ZEALOT for righteousness, these people receive GREAT knowledge...but at a GREAT price. (You get what you pay for!) Who but the truly wicked KNOW with a PERFECT knowledge the DEADNESS of their works? Likewise, who but the very righteous KNOW with a PERFECT knowledge the LIFE that is in Christ?

      Here's the kicker: the LDS Church today would NEVER let a formerly WICKED LDS man (like Alma the younger) have much influence. (Those people are vetted, screened out, even eliminated as "undesirable," as much as possible. Name ONE former "reprobate" among the hierarchy.) Yet who would know MORE (or better) about how to EXERCISE FAITH IN CHRIST and REPENT than one who had DONE so?

      Who among that same group of "leaders" has communed with God and angels? (I don't know.) I don't know ANYONE in that group who has. Does ANYONE?

      What does this tell us about WHICH GROUP to which they (we) belong? Hot? Cold? Or luke warm?

      Delete