Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Bring your scriptures

I have an appointment with President Morris Thursday (at 7:45 pm). I’m grateful he granted my request to meet with him, since I have not been particularly “gracious” toward the presiding high priest of late. Watching my family potentially get “mowed down” spiritually while standing by and doing nothing is not something I can countenance.

I have “engaged” the stake president in a polite “battle” of sorts – a “battle” he brought on by instigating this action. I spoke up first, it’s true. But it is written:

DC 88:81-83:
 81 …it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor.
 82 Therefore, they are left without excuse, and their sins are upon their own heads.
 83 He that seeketh me early shall find me, and shall not be forsaken.

That well sums up my entire motivation. I want all mankind – including myself – to come unto Christ and not be forsaken. Toward that end I have done my best to raise the "warning" voice.

Inasmuch as President Morris believes I have erred, I expect him to come to our meeting bearing “the whole armor of God” (see Ephesians 6:11-17). In this case, I hope he arrives with “the gospel of peace” and “the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God”. I will strive to do the same.

At that meeting, I’m going to ask him again to tell me why I was excommunicated. If he repeats the only answer I’ve received thus far (“You have espoused and persisted in teaching false doctrine after having received counsel and correction by priesthood leaders”), I will politely ask him to repeat his previous “counsel and correction”, this time referring to the scriptures to identify what “false doctrine” I have “espoused and taught” to justify whatever “counsel and correction” he has given. (I’m not even clear on what he has asked me to do…other than to read The Miracle of Forgiveness and stop paying tithing and what not.)

If ever anyone had the right to argue doctrine, based on his word alone, Jesus did. Yet when challenged -- even by the devil -- the Son of God argued from the scriptures. Whenever possible, He backed up His teachings with scripture, saying “It is written…” (see Matthew 4:4, 7; 21:13; 26:31). Even when He revealed new doctrine, thereby contradicting former prophetic utterances, He said: “It is written…” or “It hath been said...” followed by “But I say unto you…” (see Matthew 5:31-32).

How, then, were the people expected to know the truth? How were they to know these new teachings were, in fact, “scripture”, the inspired word of God? Especially since they contradicted the already established word of God?

They were given to know by the same means all scripture is inspired, revealed, recognized and interpreted: “by the power of the Holy Ghost” (see Moroni 10:5; 2 Peter 1:21).

Heretofore the only scripture I recall ever hearing any LDS leader cite while denouncing my beliefs or teachings is Doctrine and Covenants 1:38: “…whether by mine own voice or the voice of my servants, it is the same”. What do they who cite this scripture imply? That anything they say is equivalent to God’s word? Or (as I infer) that only the inspired things they say are the word of God?

And what have they said to me other than “You’re wrong”?

That may, indeed, be inspired “counsel and correction”. (And, if it is, I'm willing to repent.)

But, if you don't mind, I’d like to see the scriptures first.

1 comment:

  1. Will,
    Finally catching up on the last several blog entries. First, you don't know if the charge to excommunicate you came from the local officials or from Salt Lake. If it came from SLC, your appeal has no chance.

    Another observation... the Book of Mormon contains the criteria that a church must meet in order to be called His church (3 Nephi, chapter 27). It has to be called in His name, it has to follow his gospel, and the leadership must exhibit the works of God not the works of men. As far as I can tell, given the corporation sole designation of the church, the current LDS church would be hard pressed to meet any of them.

    I find it unconscionable that the men who participated in your church court couldn't specify the charges. When did the definition of apostasy change from speaking counter to the doctrine of Christ to speaking counter to the doctrine of the church. It unfortunately appears that that two are not the same.

    I pray for you and your family that these experiences will be for your good and to the condemnation of those who consider themselves learned and wise...

    Spek

    ReplyDelete