Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The purpose of this blog

Surely a blog is an "ego trip" for some. (Who doesn't enjoy being listened to? Or read?) I began this blog years ago, thinking to leave "bread crumbs" to my children and friends (and the "world at large"). It was my "public lament" for the downfall of this great nation, my "witness" that I saw and heard but, nonetheless, could do little to stop its descent into chaos and ruin. 

Because "most people are idiots" (MPAI), as Vox Day has observed. (That explains a lot.)

This blog was my soap box.

Now it has become my podium. It is my "link" with that cyber-community of saints who inhabit the blogosphere. It is my only outlet, for now, to have a "fast and testimony meeting" with those who won't ridicule or reject my words. (Oh, I'm sure there are many out there who still can and do! But they aren't compelled to listen to me anymore!) 

Truly, this world-wide web is a modern "Urim and Thummim". In it, you may find what you're looking for.

This blog "rivets" me to my witness. It holds me accountable for who I am, what I say and what I do. It is also my opportunity to fulfill the commandment, once having been warned, to warn my neighbor.

And it is a chance for me to stand corrected.

It may be of interest to some to know that I have not deleted -- or rejected -- from this blog any comment. (Except for a personal inquiry made by a former student just trying to contact me, which I probably should have left up anyway, just so I could say "I've never deleted anything!") That is remarkable to me. Every comment has been respectful and on point. No spammers or trolls have soiled these pages with their tripe. No one has ever condemned me or challenged anything I have to say here (that I recall). With tens of thousands of visits, I find that strange. (Not that I'm encouraging anyone to start a new trend here!)

And, curiously, no leader of the LDS Church -- or member of my ward that I know of -- has ever "stopped by" here (or even at my house!) to make a comment or offer correction to me. (Boy! These people take "excommunication" seriously!) Yet I know they read this blog. I find that very strange, too.

But I'm getting off point. 

I just wanted to say this blog has become my "comment in church or Sunday School", now that I don't have one to participate in. It's my exercise of the right to speak up and be heard, to share what I know, to engage in dialogue with others of like mind and heart, and to invite counsel and correction from others (that consists of something more than just "shut up").

Thank you for giving me the chance to associate with you.

4 comments:

  1. It is we who should thank you. Please continue to share your thoughts and insights . We are all edified thereby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grateful you are continuing your blog. You have paid a great price. I enjoy open discussions about the events in the world as well as gospel commentary.

    By the way... I enjoy your comments over at LatterdayCommentary. I also comment there under the name Kathryn. I don't know why that particular blog picked up that user name. It must pick up the format of each individual blog.

    Again... thanks for providing a place where gospel as well as political discussions can be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I'm still a newcomer here, I have really enjoyed everything I've read so far. I should probably comment more. ;)

    Thank you for your witness, Will. It is precious to me.

    ReplyDelete